Dangerous Play!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
OK, so here's the thing -I 'fessed-up to RadioFlensburg ('er indoors) that I was thinking pretty bl@@dy seriously about goin' Mac because I am persisted off with constantly massaging OS and software on 3x PC's (many more if you count her mates 'puters, my mates 'puters, work 'puters et al). But then I made the HUGE mistake. We went 'window shopping' on Saturday -and it took me d@mn near an hour to get her away from the iPads!!! She wants one. Fizzing at the bung already...

So. Now it looks like I'm going to have to create a whole network -BabyDoll (turns 6 in a week) is morally obliged as a woman-in-the-making to demand no-less herself... <sigh>. I reckon I've created a rod for my own back.

Current thinking is MBP 15" i7 8GB 500GB 7200 myself, with a Time Capsule, external keyboard and Magic Mouse. Then 'cause I reckon RadioFlensburg will use the iPad for checking email, a bit of web-browsing and probably not much more, she's going to need a more desktop-oriented facility for more significant tasks (we both run our own businesses). And as time relentlessly marches forward, BabyDoll's needs (in computer terms) will eventually rival our own.

So. The question then is: How would we go running a Mac Mini as a file server for all devices, including a flat-screen LCD TV? Would a bog-standard Mac Mini be the go, or would we be better off going for a server version? Would we need any additional peripherals? Would we need to add an external DVD read/write? I think the Mini Server doesn't have one? In software terms, would we be able to run programmes from a server on all attached devices? How hard is a home network to set-up and manage? Does it need much attention? What else do I need to know? What else am I missing???

TIA for any input!!!

Regards

RadioSaigon (who feels that he's single-handedly reversing the effects of the GFC in the Southern Hemisphere!) ;)

OP
RadioSaigon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, iMac
Mac mini as server

The Mac Mini can very well be a home server... with or without OS X Server software loaded on it. With the server software, administration may be a little easier.

I recently evaluated the use of OS X Server at our small business using a Mac mini with only 2 GB of ram. It performed very well but 4 GB or ram would be much better. A DVD was not needed because they are available from other machines on the network.

A quick bottom line answer to your question would be to go for the Mac mini with the pre-loaded OS X Snow Leopard Server.

Here is a web address of a site which specializes in the Mac Mini as a server:

Mac mini Server | Tips and Information On Running A Mac mini Server

Hope this is helpful.

OP
RadioSaigon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks mjfleck2000, that's the sort of thing I'm after! It wouldn't have occurred to me to have used the DVD drive of another machine -great tip! I'll be having a thorough browse of the site you linked shortly. This'll be my 1st foray into networking, so all advice gratefully received ;)

Thanks

RS

EDIT: Just been browsing the link you provided -wonderful stuff! The Apple-provided Podcasts via iTunes will be an invaluable resource too!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.