new mac user question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5 17 inch w/ 1 gig of ram, 6 gb ipod mini, and 12" Powerbook G4
I have been using pc's my whole life and i just got my imac g5.
I am scared to download stuff on my mac b\c when i download things on my pc i always get viruses. I dont want my mac to start to slow down at all so is it bad to download stuff or should i not be worried about it.
sorry if this seems stupid i just need reassurance i love how computers are when they are brand new and i want to keep my mac like that.
Thanks for any replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
As long as you download from reputable sources (like versiontracker, mac-update etc...) you'll be fine. Well, I guess you could download from pretty much anywhere and be fine. Just don't go to sites that are called things like "DestroyAllMacs" or "DieMacintoshUsers"

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5 17 inch w/ 1 gig of ram, 6 gb ipod mini, and 12" Powerbook G4

JRV

Reaction score
i thought macs didn't currently have any known viruses?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
JRV said:
i thought macs didn't currently have any known viruses?

You are correct, Mac OS X has no viruses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
D3v1L80Y said:
You are correct, Mac OS X has no viruses.
Of course some day they will, so use some common sense please. Don't open chain letters. Don't open email that is obviously spam or from someone you don't know. Don't visit obviously disreputable websites.

If your mac is networked with PCs install some antivirus software (not norton). Macs don't 'get' viruses, but they can carry and spread them to PCs.

Don't worry about normal downloads though. OSX is much more secure than windows right now. This is due to a combination of inherent security and relative obscurity.

Now go enjoy that new G5 iMac!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.