Coming back after being gone for a while, question about parallels

Reaction score
I still do some .Net work, so I needed a Windows installation somewhere. I installed bootcamp, but I was hoping to use parallels. I was quite shocked that it gave me the option to create a VM based off my bootcamp partition. What exactly does that do? If I alter files in parallels or bootcamp does it do the same to both? Is it just creating a duplicate of my Bootcamp partition? What exactly is it doing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2.4GHz, 4GB, GT 320M
I am curious about this as well. Is there any downside to doing this? I'm wondering if it would make you reactivate Windows when switching between Parallels and Boot Camp. If there's really no difference, then it would be nice to have the choice between Boot Camp and Parallels with the same Windows installation, programs and files on both.

My MBP is supposed to be here tomorrow, I have Windows 7 Ultimate and Parallels should be here soon so I'm very interested in this. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did a little research about this and there seems to have been a lot of problems with this in the past. Some people have gotten it to work while others are having tons of problems (including being asked to reactivate Windows). There are some issues that have resolutions on the Parallels website. :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
I use VM Ware Fusion to run my Bootcamp installation in a VM and it works fine. It is not just a copy of the partition, it uses the actual partition, so anything that is done in the VM is done to the Windows installation. You will have to reactivate Windows the first time you run the VM using the Bootcamp installation as it will be seen as running on different hardware. I wasn't able to do an automatic activation but called the number given and followed the computer prompts and was able to activate with no problem. Now I can use the VM if I just need to do something quick, or boot into Windows if I needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I used VMWare and Parallels - both can point to the bootcamp partition and run it as a virtual machine. That means, anything you do in the VM - it will show up when you run bootcamp as well. As stated - it is quite handy to use to get to my bootcamp partition. That way if I don't need the full power of the Mac (like running office) I can just start up the VM. If I need all the resources like for games - I boot into Windows and away I go.

I got VMWare first because my company has a lot of VMWare images. Turns out Parallels 5 is very fast, very stable, can import VMWare images, and IMHO runs better than VMWare 3.0.1 - so I switched. Plus I got the macupdate spring deal which had Parallels 5 and 9 other programs for $50. Looks like you can get it from OWC for $49 and Costco for $41 (searched google shopping)

You can also make true - virtual machines (ie non-bootcamp, virtual partition disks) - I have a virtual machine for Ubuntu linux, and a VM for windows I use for testing software. That way if something goes wrong - I just delete the virtual disk and restore it from backup. This is along side the bootcamp VM. - I can run 2 VMs at once but it chunks a lot of RAM and isn't really worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I am curious about this as well. Is there any downside to doing this? I'm wondering if it would make you reactivate Windows when switching between Parallels and Boot Camp. If there's really no difference, then it would be nice to have the choice between Boot Camp and Parallels with the same Windows installation, programs and files on both.

My MBP is supposed to be here tomorrow, I have Windows 7 Ultimate and Parallels should be here soon so I'm very interested in this. :)
I run VMWare Fusion so it maybe different than Parallels. I only activated Windows once. What I did was install Windows through Boot Camp first and then installed VMWare before activating Windows. If you activate Windows first before installing Parallels/Fusion then Windows may think you trying to install on a new computer.

This is usually a problem for people who decided to get Parallels/Fusion much later after installing Windows through Boot Camp. Remember that Windows will allow you to use it for a few days without activation so you don't need to be in a rush to activate it for the first time.

Once you activate it in the way I did you shouldn't have to activate it again because Parallels/Fusion is using your Boot Camp version of Windows rather than creating their own version. This is assuming you choose to use your Boot Camp version. I go back and forth between Fusion and Boot Camp Windows without problems. Just remember that you are dividing your computer into two when using Parallels/Fusion so both Mac and Windows won't be running at full power. This is part of the reason why I prefer to get the Mac version of software. It's kind of annoying to always boot into Windows when I need it to run at full power for only a few minutes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
From my experience, running a Boot Camp partition through VMWare/Parallels is really all you need. You get the benefits of combination: a Boot Camp partition--native Windows power when you need it--that also works as a virtual machine in OS X. In essence: Performance, yet no need to share files between multiple partitions.

Personally, too, I've never had any issue using my Windows XP Professional Boot Camp partition with VMWare Fusion. I'd recommend installing Boot Camp first, then installing and running VMWare/Parallels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I run VMWare Fusion so it maybe different than Parallels. I only activated Windows once. What I did was install Windows through Boot Camp first and then installed VMWare before activating Windows. If you activate Windows first before installing Parallels/Fusion then Windows may think you trying to install on a new computer.

This is usually a problem for people who decided to get Parallels/Fusion much later after installing Windows through Boot Camp. Remember that Windows will allow you to use it for a few days without activation so you don't need to be in a rush to activate it for the first time.

Once you activate it in the way I did you shouldn't have to activate it again because Parallels/Fusion is using your Boot Camp version of Windows rather than creating their own version. This is assuming you choose to use your Boot Camp version. I go back and forth between Fusion and Boot Camp Windows without problems. Just remember that you are dividing your computer into two when using Parallels/Fusion so both Mac and Windows won't be running at full power. This is part of the reason why I prefer to get the Mac version of software. It's kind of annoying to always boot into Windows when I need it to run at full power for only a few minutes.

This is exactly what I'm looking to do. I actually was planning on waiting to activate Windows until after installing Windows in Bootcamp, then installing Parallels to point at the partition. This just confirmed what I was thinking. I hope it goes smoothly as it would be really nice to have the option to run Windows in full power (same partition) if I need it (which will probably be rare, but still would like the option). Thanks!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I hope it goes smoothly as it would be really nice to have the option to run Windows in full power (same partition) if I need it.
I think you maybe misunderstanding me when I say "full power". What I mean by full power is to boot into Windows natively which is what you are creating with Boot Camp. Anytime you are using Parallels/Fusion you are running both Mac and Windows at the same time so your computer is divided into two parts which means both sides will run slower than if you only used one of them at a time. Fusion has the ability to give Windows less or more resources (power) so that you can only gave give it only as much that is needed for the software you are using. I believe Parallels does that too.

If you want to use Mac or Windows at full power then you have to use only one of them at time. Running Windows through Parallels/Fusion is good for software that doesn't need a lot of performance from your computer. Software such as games will usually require that you boot into Windows so that you can run it natively.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you maybe misunderstanding me when I say "full power". What I mean by full power is to boot into Windows natively which is what you are creating with Boot Camp. Anytime you are using Parallels/Fusion you are running both Mac and Windows at the same time so your computer is divided into two parts which means both sides will run slower than if you only used one of them at a time. Fusion has the ability to give Windows less or more resources (power) so that you can only gave give it only as much that is needed for the software you are using. I believe Parallels does that too.

If you want to use Mac or Windows at full power then you have to use only one of them at time. Running Windows through Parallels/Fusion is good for software that doesn't need a lot of performance from your computer. Software such as games will usually require that you boot into Windows so that you can run it natively.

Yep, I understood what you were saying at that's definitely what you're after. I like the option of using the same partition by booting into only Windows, or using it via Parallels. This is exactly what I was hoping for with my MBP, and the UPS guy just left! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.