What is a fair price for last gen Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I found a local seller on craigslist who is trying to sell his like new macbook pro. The specs are:

- Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHZ
- 9600GT 512MB
- 4GB ram

(everything else beyond this is standard)

He states it is like new, barely been used (mostly for internet browsing), and has 1.5 years left of applecare. It is listed at $1100. Is this a fair price for the older gen macbook pro? Or would I be better off spending the extra $400 and getting the newest i5 pro? (i'm hoping it would be $1500 or so after selling the free ipod)

Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Used Mac prices. How much is my Mac worth? LINK

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
You do know that you have to pay for the ipod upfront and wait on the rebate right? You are not really going to make money on the deal as you have already put cash out upfront. I have never really understood the point of getting the iPod and immediately selling it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You do know that you have to pay for the ipod upfront and wait on the rebate right? You are not really going to make money on the deal as you have already put cash out upfront. I have never really understood the point of getting the iPod and immediately selling it.

The "free" iPod is the 8 gig iPod Touch (2nd generation) which Apple say's retails for $199 (they're on the 3rd generation iPod Touch now).

Example of how it works:

- Buyer pays the $199 up front
- Buyer sends in the rebate for $199
- Buyer gets the $199 rebate check

So the buyers net price for the iPod Touch is $0.00.

Now the buyer sells the iPod Touch on Craig's List or e-Bay for whatever they can get for it...and that's their profit.

In actuality...the 2nd generation 8 gig iPod Touch is probably worth between $100 to $125...since it's the previous generation...and it's the base 8 gig model.

- Nick

p.s. Here's a link for a refurbished 8 gig iPod Touch from the Apple Store (current generation) for $149.00:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC086LL/A?mco=MTcxMzIwNDM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Too much work for little money. :D. These 8gb models are not going for much these days around here, so it hardly seems worth it to me.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too much work for little money. :D. These 8gb models are not going for much these days around here, so it hardly seems worth it to me.

Yes...the whole rebate process is a big pain in the butt...just like many electronic items. That's why companies do the rebate "thing".

The rebate attracts buyers to purchase an item with a lower than "normal" price (because of the rebate)...who may be "on the fence" about buying the item.

The lower rebate price gets potential buyers off the fence. Then a good number of these buyers never send in the rebate (because of the hassle or they forget)...and then they end up paying full price for the item! A price that they really didn't want to pay in the first place...without the rebate incentive!

So in this case with the "free" iPod Touch with a computer purchase for students...I can guarantee you less than 100% don't send in the rebate. So not only are the students (or parents of the students) not getting their $199 rebate check...they're actually over-paying for a 2nd generation 8 gig iPod Touch...which at most is worth $149...but really worth less.

The whole process is a pain in the butt...but for someone willing to do it...they still come out ahead. Remember...selling the "free" iPod for $100-$150 bucks for a 18-25 year-old student...is a lot of BEER & fast food money!!!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
True Nick, I think I can remember scraping $$$ together in my beer and fast food days! :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True Nick, I think I can remember scraping $$$ together in my beer and fast food days! :D

Yeah...now that you're older...and "rich & famous"...the whole process of selling a free iPod Touch for a net profit of $100-$150 bucks is peanuts!
smiley-laughing024.gif

But then maybe that's why this promotion is more attractive to the typical "less wealthy" 18-25 year-old student.;)

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies guys. It looks like I"m overpaying for the macbook pro a bit. I guess when I meet with him, I'll ask about the price and if there's anyway he can work with me.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the quick replies guys. It looks like I"m overpaying for the macbook pro a bit. I guess when I meet with him, I'll ask about the price and if there's anyway he can work with me.

Many folks selling things price their items on the high-side...with the expectation that there will be some negotiation...and maybe end up close to what they were "truly" expecting out of the deal in the first place.

Folks that price their items on the high-side (and not willing to negotiate)...are either uninformed as to current market values, are stubborn, or "crazy"!;) Ha ha!

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.