• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Yahoo - 5 Reasons not to buy iPhone4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
So should I refuse the shipment when it arrives today?

5 - Any retard knows that more megapickles aren't better. Stuff more megapickles on a small sensor and you get more noise and worse IQ. A 1920x1080p image is less than 2 megapickles.

4. What the **** is a swype?

3. What other phone even offers something like face time?

2. I preordered shortly before at&t stopped taking them. I'm receiving mine today. I know several other friends at stores today where there's no line or anything like that.

1. I DGAF! AT&T has never treated me wrong and I'm 95% covered in my area. Who cares if Verizon offers service with an iPhone.

Yep, that article is nit picking at points that only a few people will have and I guarantee that it will be 1 in 1000 that have an issue with all 5 at the same time...except on this forum...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
5 - Any retard knows that more megapickles aren't better. Stuff more megapickles on a small sensor and you get more noise and worse IQ. A 1920x1080p image is less than 2 megapickles.

I agree here - although I've never seen 2 megapickles before - how many barrels doe that take? .

4. What the **** is a swype?

as mentioned before a neat different way of keying in data on a touch screen phone. you can see a video of it here: NEW Trend Alert: Swype Texting I'm sure there were licensing issues assuming Apple was even interested in it to include on the iPhone.

3. What other phone even offers something like face time?

<--- edit --->

Original text:
A better argument might be that the technology has to start somewhere - and with ATTs rather SCREWED new data packages that any NEW subscriber (or one changing their existing data plan is now restricted to) video calling would not be cost effective as you'd use up your data plan limits probably pretty quick if you were consistently making video calls.

better text that explains what I was trying to describe:
having video phone working over a data connection thru 3G would have been a much stronger selling point then over wifi - with wifi only you have to really plan your video call rather then being able to use your data package where you could make a video call any time without pre-arranging to make sure both parties are in a wifi area that offers high enough data throuput end to end to maintain a video call - besides I was remarking that it was a better argument vs what the article put forth with regard to the way facetime worked.

But - this is an opinion - I think Facetime is a great concept. I think the limitation of wifi only is a bummer. I think that if they did make it work over 3G that it would not be cost effective in the long run for heavy video callers (new subscribers/data plan changers) due to ATTs new restrictive data plans.

2. I preordered shortly before at&t stopped taking them. I'm receiving mine today. I know several other friends at stores today where there's no line or anything like that.

Realize here - AT&T had to stop taking pre-orders - it really shouldn't have had to stop taking pre-orders up until the day it was released unless there was a shortage somewhere along the supply chain. I'm not saying it's a big deal for you, but it may be for others who can't get a phone or who were not able to pre-order when they really should have been able to.

1. I DGAF! AT&T has never treated me wrong and I'm 95% covered in my area. Who cares if Verizon offers service with an iPhone.

Good for you - you're of a particular group that is not the only group on the planet - MANY people might consider that they:

a) HATE ATT - although you've had good service, many people haven't. If ATT had great service, there's a reason why Verizon still has more subscribers then ATT - even with the awesomeness of the iPhone - granted some of it has to do with my list below, but some is also just because they hate ATTs service. A quick search on the internet pulls tons of horror stories.
b) Don't want to switch, especially now because of the lame data packages that ATT is shoving down peoples throats
c) Live in an area or state that has crappy ATT coverage - or doesn't offer 3G where Verizon does
d) Don't want to switch because the rest of their family is on Verizon.

You may not care, but others do.

Yep, that article is nit picking at points that only a few people will have and I guarantee that it will be 1 in 1000 that have an issue with all 5 at the same time...except on this forum...

In all honesty - when is any article that is giving reasons to not buy something nit picking on at least one topic. They could have offered other (better IMHO) reasons (like true full multitasking for third party apps rather then the neutered multitasking they made available) - but these 5 reasons were the ones they wanted to go with.

The only one I agree with is #1, I can see #2 but as it doesn't affect me - doesn't bother me in the big picture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
A better argument might be that the technology has to start somewhere - and with ATTs rather SCREWED new data packages that any NEW subscriber (or one changing their existing data plan is now restricted to) video calling would not be cost effective as you'd use up your data plan limits probably pretty quick if you were consistently making video calls.

FaceTime only works over WiFi so it has nothing to do with your AT&T data plans.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You didn't follow my thought process then - I know it only works over wifi - I was mentioning that if it DID work over ATTs network that it wouldn't be cost effective due to their current data plan offerings for new subscribers or subscribers that change plans.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You didn't follow my thought process then - I know it only works over wifi - I was mentioning that if it DID work over ATTs network that it wouldn't be cost effective due to their current data plan offerings for new subscribers or subscribers that change plans.

I followed it, but it's an "if" which isn't real so using that as justifaction to put a negative against the phone doesn't make sense.

It's like me saying, if the iPhone 4 exploded every time you tried to make call, it would suck. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I followed it, but it's an "if" which isn't real so using that as justifaction to put a negative against the phone doesn't make sense.

It's like me saying, if the iPhone 4 exploded every time you tried to make call, it would suck. :p

I disagree - having video phone working over a data connection thru 3G would have been a much stronger selling point then over wifi - with wifi only you have to really plan your video call rather then being able to use your data package where you could make a video call any time without pre-arranging to make sure both parties are in a wifi area that offers high enough data throuput end to end to maintain a video call - besides I was remarking that it was a better argument vs what the article put forth with regard to the way facetime worked.

But - this is an opinion - I think Facetime is a great concept. I think the limitation of wifi only is a bummer. I think that if they did make it work over 3G that it would not be cost effective in the long run for heavy video callers (new subscribers/data plan changers) due to ATTs new restrictive data plans.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well then your argument should have been it's inability to work over a data plan vs WiFi only rather than complaining about a data plan that's not even an issue right now. I think that's where I was confused about your argument.

The data plan only becomes an issue if Apple enabled the service over 3G.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You do have a point, and I probably should have worded it differently - I knew what I was thinking the words didn't quite come out as they were in my head lol - guess I just didn't explain it as well as I should have :)

I updated the original post to reflect both what I originally wrote and the more clear post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Well then your argument should have been it's inability to work over a data plan vs WiFi only rather than complaining about a data plan that's not even an issue right now. I think that's where I was confused about your argument.

Not sure if you watched the Keynote presentation, but Steve most definitely inferred that the feature SHOULD be available via 3g, but that the "providers" would need to pick up the slack. I'm pretty sure it will roll around eventually, much like slingbox did. I just don't think ATT are up to the task.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 13" MBP - 32GB iPhone4 (almost)
I used Swype for the 1st time yesterday and I will say that it's cool. But i think i'd prefer my touch keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I watched the video of it, and I could see how it could be pretty cool. Honestly though, I haven't had much trouble typing on my iPod Touch - actually less trouble typing on it then I do on my BB Storm2. I wouldn't mind having it if I could disable the feature if I didn't like using it (swype).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!

Just wait until the Netflix app where you can stream movies to the phone is released. Seriously? The data cap was a lame move by AT&T to try and help curb congestion on their network, but I honestly thing it's going to be more of a bad thing. If/when the iphone is finally released on another carrier, people are not going to want to stick with AT&T if they can get better plans/service elsewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree - that was a serious shortsighted - short term fix for ATTs network congestion - something that won't affect everyone (as not everyone uses a ton of data right now) - but as you pointed out - as more people start using something like Netflix on their mobile devices (especially in areas where they are traveling with no wifi or sucky wifi; kind of like the hotel I was at last week while at a training conference) they'll burn thru data pretty quick - last week I used my BB tethered to my MBP to give me access for both my computer and iPad and I burned thru 1.16 gigs in the span of 3 days...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini, iPhone 4, iPods, Seagate 1TB HDD
It's not all about megapixels, there are many things that can make a 5MP camera shoot better than an 8MP camera.

As for the other 4... I don't care!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
people are not going to want to stick with AT&T if they can get better plans/service elsewhere.

Does Verizon have unlimited data plans on their droid or whatever top of the line phones?

I clicked on an add for one and the plan specified a $30 2 gig data plan I think. Pretty much same as AT&T's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
It's not all about megapixels, there are many things that can make a 5MP camera shoot better than an 8MP camera.

VERY true. I used to be misled and confused by the arms race of more megapixels until I started getting into semi-serious DSLR photography. While megapixels are important up to a point, there are many FAR MORE important aspects of a camera to consider.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does Verizon have unlimited data plans on their droid or whatever top of the line phones?

I clicked on an add for one and the plan specified a $30 2 gig data plan I think. Pretty much same as AT&T's.

Only for now if they do...slides and documents have already been released that Verizon will be capping data most likely this Fall.

Sprint and T-mobile "technically" don't cap, but they slow your speed down, almost to the point of not being usable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
But I've seen three people in my FB stream that have gotten iPhones from stores without issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.