Airport extreme card, no basestation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3gs, G4 iMac (20" screen)
I have just bought a 2nd-hand G4 iMac (20" lamp, 1.25GHz, 750Mb memory, running 10.3.2) but it has no airport card. 3 questions for you geniuses out there.
1: I have stored all my iTunes video on DVD which the Mac will not play. It WILL play normal DVD,s and I therefore suspect that because they were burned on a external drive from my netbook, running Windows XP, they may not be compatible with the Mac. Is there any way I can play them directly on the Mac?
2: I'm pretty sure that I can fit an airport extreme card into the machine, Will this work with a conventional router or do I need the (v expensive) base station?
3: I have a dongle for the "3" network here in the UK. If I put credit on this will it work on the Mac?

Thank you very much
Gordon (back in the Mac fold at last)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
2: I'm pretty sure that I can fit an airport extreme card into the machine, Will this work with a conventional router or do I need the (v expensive) base station?

Yes...an Airport Extreme card will work with just about any router. This is exactly the setup I have (and many others have)...Airport card + non-Apple router.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3gs, G4 iMac (20" screen)
Thank you Nick.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.