pendrive formatting problem

Reaction score
i just formatted my 4 gb pen drive on my new macbook. when i connected it to my pc its capacity shows only as 200 mb. on the macbook, it appears as two drives - one with 3.8 gb and the other as 200 mb. any idea how to fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
What file system did you choose when you formatted it on the Mac ?
FAT32 or HFS+ ?

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Actually, fat32 or HFS+ is irrelevant in this particular case. He's connecting it to a separate PC which means he most likely doesn't have HFS+ drivers on that system.

His problem is that he doesn't have the proper partition scheme. Right now, it sounds like he has it initialized as a GUID partition scheme drive rather then as Master Boot Record - the big indicator is that small 200 meg utility partition that's created by formatting the drive using the GUID partition scheme.

When you formatted the thumb drive in Disk Utility, and you selected one partition, as mentioned before, it probably defaulted to GUID Partition Table - this method will create a small partition and a main partition just like you're seeing. If you go back into Disk Utility, and re-partition the drive to one partition, click the options button below where it displays the partitions and select Master Boot Record, then select Ok and apply. Once done formatting, it should show in the text below Partition Map Scheme: Master Boot Record.

You should then see it as a single large partition on the Windows based machines.

You will want it as MBR anyway as if you took that thumb drive to an XP machine it would be unuseable as XP doesn't support GUID by default.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Am I mising something here? I've never needed to format any of our family's pen drives (512 mb to 4Gb) and they are used interchangeably between our 3 macs and two pcs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
For some reason I have had the same problem as napper when I would have to format usb drives on my MBP with 10.5.8.
If I just have to now, I format my usb drives on a PC to work on both Mac and PC with no problems.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nethfel is right on target! I don't know how many posts I've replied to where the user formatted his\her flash drive incorrectly and wound up with that 200MB partition.

The problem is actually also a Windows thing... Windows will not "see" any partition beyond the first on a removable drive even though the Disk Manager shows the correct number of partitions.

Follow the directions Nethfel gave in his reply and you'll be OK.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.