Switching

Reaction score
Switching to linux

Now I understand that this is a mac forum, and people here are pretty crazy about these machines. I have to admit, I've been a mac user for 3 years now I can't disagree that they are fantastic machines. the hardware is top notch, and melds perfectly with a beautiful OS and piles of great apps that I'm sure many of you have often said "just work". It's true! and all this for a price that, well, um, may actually be a little too high for what your getting? hold om hold on! don't stop reading quite yet, please read on. In these times when Apple has now surpassed Microsoft in net worth, we have to be objective and keep an open mind to avoid becoming what Microsoft became a long time ago. you all know what I mean.

So it's come time for me to buy a new computer, obviously I start browsing the Apple store. Oh WoW! new mac mini! it looks, uh, ok, and costs, uh, more than the old ones, and not quite powerful enough. Macbook, um no, I need a little more power, MBP, great, an i5 processor, ok graphic card, $2166! I simply cannot afford this.

I start thinking about my situation, and wondering, why is it that I want a mac? well Duh, great software that is basically immune to viruses, well they were at least when hackers weren't focusing on them, but now I read that because Apple has exceeded Microsoft in net worth, maybe hackers have a new target? Well anyway, I want an apple cause it's easy to use, it works, and is generally great, not like big clunky windows.

Well considering all this, I realize maybe there's a third option, LINUX! guess what, Linux is the most stable OS out there, tons of great apps (all of them free) including some many of you probably already use (open office, firefox, thunderbird, handbrake, transmissions). Linux is user friendly, and totally customizable, which means it can be better for a power user like myself who gets tired of Apple holding my hand sometimes. Another plus, basically immune to viruses, best security EVER! Another plus, it's free and works on tons of different platforms, completely unlike Mac. It runs better on slower machines, and I can install it on a 999$ laptop with an i5 and killer graphics card, an apple of this caliber is twice as expensive!

I'm sorry guys, I've opened my eyes and seen that maybe Mac isn't the be all and end all of the computing world. Maybe we should have a look at the little guy for a change?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Yeah Linux is great and free and runs a lot of the web, but with a grand total post count of one - I say

troll-web.jpg

C

chas_m

Have fun with Linux. It's all about getting a lot of enjoyment out of your computer.

PS. Please don't pm me when you need to write a driver because Linux doesn't support your printer. I can't and won't help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.