Question on 'Library' folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I have Snow Leopard. In MacIntosh HD, I have 'Library' folder but inside the 'System' folder I also have a 'Library' folder with all the same sub-folders as the previously mentioned Library folder, with exception of a few other sub-folders that are different. Is this normal? Or have I somehow duplicated my Library folder.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, it's normal. One is in your user's folder, the other belongs to the system. No duplication.

Regards.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This is normal. OS X uses the Library folder inside your user account for settings specific to your account. The other Library folder (inside the System folder) contains files needed by all of the user accounts on a system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
In MacIntosh HD, I have 'Library' folder but inside the 'System' folder I also have a 'Library' folder with all the same sub-folders as the previously mentioned ...

No, it's normal. One is in your user's folder, the other belongs to the system. No duplication.
Oops! OP did not mention the one in the "user's" or Home folder. That makes three. And if there are more users, there are more Library folders.

This is normal. OS X uses the Library folder inside your user account for settings specific to your account. The other Library folder (inside the System folder) contains files needed by all of the user accounts on a system.
Remind me what the other other Library folder is for - the one in the top level HD folder, not in the user account.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The System folder at the root level of your hard drive contains items which affect the entire System and is to some extent global (affecting all users). The Library folder inside the System folder contains items the system as a whole needs to function. The third Library folder is inside your user folder and has your specific settings. http://http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/MYSA073105_2R_themacguy_1bdbe1dd_html.html

Thanks for the reminder BTW I forgot there were three of those folders

C

chas_m

Just to add to the answers above:

NEVER EVER EVER touch the contents of the Library folder inside the System folder unless you enjoy losing data and screwing up your machine BIG TIME. You've been warned.

The root-level "Library" is again not for you, it's primarily used by the Applications and other functions shared by all users of the machine (yes, perhaps you are the only HUMAN user of your machine, but there's more to it than that).

The User Folder "Library" is use for all the local stuff YOU do. Again you really shouldn't need to ever mess with it. Don't store your stuff in there, its not that kind of a library. :)

OP
quin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Just to add to the answers above:

NEVER EVER EVER touch the contents of the Library folder inside the System folder unless you enjoy losing data and screwing up your machine BIG TIME. You've been warned.

The root-level "Library" is again not for you, it's primarily used by the Applications and other functions shared by all users of the machine (yes, perhaps you are the only HUMAN user of your machine, but there's more to it than that).

The User Folder "Library" is use for all the local stuff YOU do. Again you really shouldn't need to ever mess with it. Don't store your stuff in there, its not that kind of a library. :)

I know enough not to touch them. Advice well taken. Thanks. I do have an extensive 'Library' on my PC notebook. How do you keep it hidden on the Mac IF I have one. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.