Switching to Mac Need help.

Reaction score
Hello all

We have been a pc family forever. One desktop is 6 years old and starting to crash, on 3 yr old laptop crashed for the fist time a month ago and is not a 100% yet. I am looking at buying a couple of computers, and in aug. getting 2 iphones. So the question is I was looking at the 21 in I mac (the 1,200)for myself and wife(photography lightroom, email, internet, no gaming)and a mini mac (I have a monitor and wireless mouse and keyboard)for the kids (7 and 4) schoolwork and internet. Use the pc laptop until it dies for the 3rd computer then switch to a ipad. I was going to get a airport extreme for the network everything, I was going to looking at the timecapsule, but read some bad stuff about it, and I have a 500 gb backup external drive now anyway . Is this a good start, is it too much, any help would be great. I am going to the macstore in 2 to 3 weeks.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
Welcome! Sounds like a good start. Instead of getting a Time Capsule, I would just pick up an Airport Extreme and connect your 500 GB hard drive to it. Be sure to format it with Disk Utility before using it as a backup drive. Should work well to get you going. Best of luck...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4GHz/ 4GB ram/ 250GB HDD, 2nd Gen 16GB ipod touch, 64GB + 3G iPad
Welcome! Sounds like a good start. Instead of getting a Time Capsule, I would just pick up an Airport Extreme and connect your 500 GB hard drive to it. Be sure to format it with Disk Utility before using it as a backup drive. Should work well to get you going. Best of luck...

I didn't even know this was possible! I just replaced my linksys router with an Airport extreme. I have been plugging in my external HD and manually backing it up. I guess I'll have to give this a try!

Thanks!!

Wendy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook, non-Pro, Snow Leopard
(photography lightroom, email, internet, no gaming)

Sounds like 'Doze can't compete. Not being an artsy type, I know precisely bugger about photography, but when it comes to email and internet, Mac* wins. Unless you like viruses.

*I say the same about my beloved Linux, but many people find it too intimidating due to all of the FUD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Yakhead Welcome to the Forum.
get a airport extreme for the network everything, I was going to looking at the timecapsule,
If you already have an External HD then the Extreme is a good choice, however, i have had TC for over 2 years without issues altho i have raised it up on furniture feet for better cooling.
In terms of Back Up and Equipment might be best to decide your final desired LAN config and buy items with that goal in mind.

Click for full size

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.