Upgrading

Reaction score
Sorry, couldn't find another forum that best fit .. and I am a newbie!

Do you have a preferred website that you use to shop for Mac upgrades? ie memory and hard drives?

In addition is the hard drive memory easy to replace on your own?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Whether memory is easy or hard to replace depends on the Mac you have. Most of them are easy.

Look to OWC for your upgrades, especially if you're not sure of the specifications for what you need.

OP
I
Reaction score
:D Thanks !! for the website reference .. amazon just wasn't doing the trick..

I pretty sure I'm going to get the iMac 27 but I am debating 1 or 2 tera hard drive and memory is just way to much I can upgrade that alittle at a time.

But, the great debate is use the student discount upgrade hard drive and get free ipod or refurbished and do the upgrade myself

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook, non-Pro, Snow Leopard
Is it not the case that any RAM will work in a Mac? I was of the belief that any SO-DIMMs purchased from retailers like Newegg will work just as well in my MacBook as they will in a Windows-or-Linux-based computer.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Is it not the case that any RAM will work in a Mac? I was of the belief that any SO-DIMMs purchased from retailers like Newegg will work just as well in my MacBook as they will in a Windows-or-Linux-based computer.

That may be the case I think with the Intel machines - as long as you're buying the proper spec'd RAM. Based on reports I've seen with the PPC Macs, that was not the case.

However, I have seen quite a few newbs here purchasing the absolutely cheapest RAM they could find at newegg and then it didn't work.

For those that know hardware and know the brands to buy and those to stay away from, newegg is a great store.

For the non-hardware enthusiast, OWC makes it simple by asking which Mac you have and then showing what they have that will work in your machine. And while their cheapest stuff may not be as cheap as newegg, it's typically pretty darn close to it.

I've been building my own rigs for 15 years now, and I don't buy anything from newegg for my Mac without also checking at OWC.

C

chas_m

For Canadians, I can enthusiastically recommend CanadaRAM.com for RAM and hard drive needs. They are Mac-knowledgable, they are competitively-priced, they are fast and they are ethical and customer-satisfaction-oriented. Can't ask for more than that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
Crucial is pretty good for RAM, that's where I got mine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.