when i play loud music through my eMac's speakers,
or tap on the side of it, there are little 'ripple' things
produced on the monitor by the vibrations. This is
bit annoying and very odd. Do other people have the
sam problem or am I alone? Is there any way to fix
the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
OP
H

HopperJonusFang

I read in MacFormat that there is a problem with some of the screens on a certain batch of eMacs so if you get in touch with your dealer im sure they will replace it

OP
F

Fredless

Mine also would not come up the first few times after I started the computer for the first time. I called apple immediately and while on the phone with the tech it started working magically after about 5 restarts. I guess it needed to 'break in' or something...Has worked perfectly since then.

Also, if I turn the bass up all the way and volume, mine also ripples..reminds me somewhat of an LCD monitor.

OP
D

dante22

I bought my emac in Dec. and thought the strangeness was normal. What if any resolution did you receive from the retailer who sold you the mac? Also is this something to be worried about in he future , like when the warranty runs out?

OP
A

arossco

I think this is quite normal - my eMac does the same at louder volumes, and tapping the side also ripples the screen.

I have found the same effect tapping any CRT monitor - it's just small movements in the shadow mask caused by the vibration.

OP
B

bar01

This is normal

My eMac did this too. At first I thought it was a defect, but I went over to my old computer's 17 inch Sony monitor and tapped hard on the sides and it rippled too. So it must be normal.

Basically I bought a pair of external speakers for $40 at Best Buy. They sound WAY (WAY) better than the little speakers in the eMac and I don't have to worry about "ripples".

OP
D

dante22

dante22 said:
I bought my emac in Dec. and thought the strangeness was normal. What if any resolution did you receive from the retailer who sold you the mac? Also is this something to be worried about in he future , like when the warranty runs out?

thank you to everyone who shared a similar experience. Knowing it's not all in my head was comforting but then I began to notice it more than before.
I now have my emac hitched up to my stereo speakers but have to unplug them once in awhile. This I do when I don't want to listen and or turn on my stereo. Is there a splitter of some kind that will allow me to switch between listening through my stereo and then switching to my computer speakers. I haven't really looked into it yet and wonder if someone has already tackled this issue.
I hate having to turn on my stereo every time I turn on my emac or remember to unplug when not listening to itunes. I don't want itsy bitsy speakers or a new sound system since mine is really good. Any suggestions other than submitting?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.