Worried about my new Mac

Reaction score
I just got a new Macbook Pro and so far I love it. When I got it I downloaded firefox and skype. Both of these applications when i run them create an icon on my desktop that when i try to delete says that i'm "ejecting" them. and they show up as ejectable items.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
welcome to this great forum...

a .dmg will "mount", once installed you can to eject them.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The .dmg will mount on the desktop. When you open the .dmg, there will be a window with the app inside that you can: a)click on to open the app or b) drag that icon to your applications folder in Finder to install. (Some of them will have the app and an icon of the Applications folder in the window that the dmg opens, in which case, just drag and drop the app icon onto the Applications folder right there within the window to install it.)

Once you have installed the app, then you can close the window, eject the .dmg and delete it.

The type of apps that are just drag and drop to install, all you have to do to uninstall them, is right click on it and select delete.

Some apps have an actual installation routine like you are familiar with in windows. Those type of apps will typically also have an uninstallation routine to delete them.

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok so I guess this is part two of my question: That worked and now firefox and skype are in my applications folder. However when I went to put another app in there it didn't give it it's not the correct icon for it, it looks broken but it works and when the app is running it has its correct icon on the bar.
Also all of the "eject" icons are still on my desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
The "broken" icon in the Applications Folder is normal and shows up for apps that you download. After they have been run a few times, they the icon should change to the correct one.

If the disk image (.dmg) that you downloaded is still mounted on the desktop, just drag that icon over the Trash and it will eject the image. If the Application has been installed the Applications Folder, you can delete the .dmg that you downloaded or back it up somewhere in case you ever need to re-install.

Reaction score
You got correct advice above. Just make sure that after you download applications, that you drag them into your Applications folder and like they said above, you can them eject them and either delete or move/save the .dmg or .zip file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.