update to 10.6.4??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
I've seen a few people having some problems after the recent update to 10.6.4 (this forum and the apple.com one) - especially with Steam games (of which I have a couple), so I'm wondering if it's a sensible choice to just wait until 10.6.5 comes along, and update straight to that? Will I be missing out on anything vital, or leaving myself insecure?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Getting a Macbook Pro i7 in June. I also own an iPhone 3GS.
Everything seems fine overall for me except Steam. The framerates are crap and when I exit a game, it locks up my MBP and I have to restart. This makes me extremely nervous as I just bought this computer and worry that these constant hard reboots will harm the computer.

Steam says that they are waiting on Apple to fix the problem since it is the OS update that caused the issue, although I don't see Apple coming out with a new update just to please Steam players. I think Valve needs to come out with a fix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4
There are unannounced security fixes and various performances tweeks in this update, don't wait for 10.6.5, there will be a fix before then. At the very least wait for Valve to update steam, before you install 10.6.4.

With the work apple are putting in to turn OSX into a gaming platform they won't let this update damage anything. I'm sure apple and Valve have had words and someone is working on a fix. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.