Connecting Iphone to Macbook=nothing?

Reaction score
I am trying to sync my new Macbook to my iphone and when I connect it, I get nothing. I am new to Macbooks and have been using my Iphone on my PC. Can someone help me?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is iTunes opening when you attempt to sync your iPhone with your MacBook? Describe what happens when you attach the iPhone.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Is iTunes opening when you attempt to sync your iPhone with your MacBook? Describe what happens when you attach the iPhone.

Regards.

Nothing happens lol. It just starts to charge. iTunes does not pop up either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
in that case, you open iTunes.. (you can turn on in iTunes that you want it to open if you connect the iPhone --something i don't like, but some do)

OP
J
Reaction score
in that case, you open iTunes.. (you can turn on in iTunes that you want it to open if you connect the iPhone --something i don't like, but some do)

I am not understanding what you are saying, sorry

OP
J
Reaction score
Can someone please help?? I connect my shuffle and it syncs to my Mac fine. I really just want to sync my Iphone so I can get rid of this PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (15"); iPhone 4; iPad 64GB Wi-Fi
Mine did the same thing, and when I'd unplug the iPhone from the cord it would pop up that it can't read the iPhone and that I need to restore the iPhone to factory settings. I have the iPhone 4 and went ahead and restored it (after adding all my contacts to the address book on the MacBook Pro) and haven't had any problems with it since. Haven't tried to synch it to my PC since, as I'm just going to use my MacBook for everything now.

OP
J
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing, and when I'd unplug the iPhone from the cord it would pop up that it can't read the iPhone and that I need to restore the iPhone to factory settings. I have the iPhone 4 and went ahead and restored it (after adding all my contacts to the address book on the MacBook Pro) and haven't had any problems with it since. Haven't tried to synch it to my PC since, as I'm just going to use my MacBook for everything now.

Thats what I am planning on doing (selling my pc so I wont have it). But it doesnt do anything when I plug it in. Nothing that even says it can't read it. I plugged my shuffle in and it worked fine and everything, but my phone will not.

Reaction score
1. Connect your device
2. Open iTunes. This is done in the Dock at the bottom of the screen, one click on the iTunes icon (the CD with the note) will open it.
3. See if your device shows along the left side
3a. If it does not, you got a problem that is Apple Store worthy
3b. If it shows up, click the device under the Devices header
- Make sure "Open iTunes when this iPod is connected" is checked
- If desired, unchecking "Manually manage music and videos" will do automatic syncing.

Reaction score
This MAY be the problem. MAY.

Within your iTunes Music Library.xml (located within user/Documents/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml)there is a hexadecimal value assigned for each PC/Mac. You have to copy that same value from your OLD PC, to your new Mac. Secondly, you must edit the hex code, with a simple hex editor.

I recently had to do this, and now my iPhone is recognized without any issues. This may not be the problem however.

Somewhat sounds like it may be though. A quick Google search should help you out, if this is fact what needs to be done.

Reaction score
The same thing happened to me this morning with my old iPhone 3G, previously synced to a PC, and my new MacBook Pro.

I plugged it in and it only started charging.

So....
First, I opened iPhoto and imported all the pictures (a prompt came up asking me if I wanted to).

Then, go in iTunes and click "File" at the top of your screen. Select transfer purchases. This will transfer everything you have bought into your Mac. Unfortunately, once you sync, all ripped CDs will be lost. I have been assured by AT&T, however, that old SMS messages and voicemails will stay.

Hope this helps

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.