Cross OS questions...

Reaction score
I'm doing research on different Operating Systems. I am switching to Mac this month, but would appreciate if anyone could give feedback, thanks.

To anyone, no matter what OS:

1.) Why do you like your mac or windows computer?

2.) What are some pros and cons of each system?

3.) Why do you not like other operating systems?

4.) Anything else to say...

C

chas_m

Primarily, I like my Mac because its not Windows. It is hard to imagine a more built-by-committee, tries-to-please-everyone-and-pleases-nobody, overly-complex graphical operating system than Windows. Of course there are some people who are perfectly comfortable with it, just like there are some people who are perfectly comfortable with the intricacies of string theory. That doesn't mean most normal people want to go into that depth for no palpable advantage.

Windows PROS: Wider selection of games and other time-wasting crap. Huge selection of mediocre software. Solitaire keeps stupid people busy. Viruses entertain geeks. There are a handful of well-designed software packages that aren't available for the Mac (though one of the biggest, AutoCAD, is coming to the Mac, as is ACDSee Pro). Windows PCs, despite their many flaws, are more harmonious with Dilbert-esque corporations and enterprises than Macs. Windows, however, will run to some degree of success on a wide variety of components.

Windows CONS: Way too many steps to do nearly anything. Viruses and relatd security problems. Crapware. Poorly-designed OS. Built on lies and deception. Assumes all its customers are thieves. Keeps promising to fix problems with next release, still hasn't done it after 30 years. Most normal people find it intimidating, and it teaches them (falsely) that computers are unpredictable, easily broken and bewilderingly illogical.

Mac PROS: Fun to use. Easy to learn. High quality parts. Elegant, logical OS that tries to get out of your way as much as possible. Thoughtfully designed ecosystem. Reliable. Innovative. Very high-quality software both from Apple and third-party devs. Lovely to look at. Incredibly strong warranty.

Mac CONS: Expensive compared to low-end PCs. OS X can be initially confusing to Windows switchers (since they have to UNlearn some bad habits). Poorer selection of games, and less retail presence. Will make you want to own lots of other Apple stuff. :)

Windows: Because its really pretty crap. I know a lot of people will disagree, but when you don't know anything else, you tend to think whatever you're using is excellent and other options are "weird." I mean, look at how many millions of idiots like Top 40 music!

Linux: The main reason I don't like Linux is because it keeps trying to be like Windows (in terms of mass acceptance), and gets more Windows-like all the time. And in that Windows itself is often a pale imitation of the Mac "look and feel," Linux ends up being a pale imitation of a pale imitation with only very occasional forays into being unique. There's things to like about it, particularly if tinkering is something you consider fun, but as a mainstream OS its too smart for its own good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Boy, Chas summed it up pretty good. I've only switched a few months ago to a MBP. What I liked about the OS X and hate Windows is the startup time. With huge GB of RAM and HDD that spins 7200 rpm , there should be no good reason why you have to wait more than a minute for the computer to startup, ready to use. Yet with Windows, even when I get to the 'desktop', I still have to wait for it to finish loading whatever it is loading before I can click on a program that I want to use. You turn on a radio, you instantly hear sound and music. Same with TV. It should be like that with computers too. But sadly not all are this way.

M

MacInWin

I'm doing research on different Operating Systems. I am switching to Mac this month, but would appreciate if anyone could give feedback, thanks.

Speed and simplicity of use. I had used windows for 20+ years, had gotten used to the problems, but when I got a quad-core generic box and it was slower than my previous box, I reached a breaking point. With the Antivirus checking and AV software that is mandated for Windows, it took forever to do anything. I went to the local store that had Macs and when I first walked in the first thing I saw was a windows desktop in a window on a 21 inch iMac! I asked a few questions, got the answer that it was VMWare running XP, played with it to find that it was faster than my quad core native box and bought one that very day.

Windows mandates AV software, which OSX does not. More software choices for Windows than OSX. More hardware choices with Windows than OSX. I use Ubuntu linux for a file server in my home network, I find Ubuntu pretty friendly, but too much work for an "appliance" type need.

It's not a mater of "not like" it's a matter of preference. I like OSX because 1) it works, 2) it's fast, 3) no A/V. I was spending too much time messing with Windows and not enough on what I wanted to do.

Nope.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Mac
I love the laptop hardware. The build quality of my laptop is much better than any windows laptop that I have seen. Price is comparable to business class laptops which is the only level of windows laptop I would buy. Consumer level laptops are made with marshmallows - so even though you may get a more powerful computer, they tend to break in 3-5 years.(always there are exceptions)

Multi-touch touchpad. I never liked any of the mouse interfaces on a windows laptop. The multi-touch trackpad and better touch tool means I no longer have to attach an external mouse to use my laptop. Hands down the best way to use a trackpad.

Time Machine - proper backup software built in and easy to use.

Windows
I can build a desktop computer for half the price and double the compute power of a Mac Pro.

Games, Games, Games.

Linux
Free! Ability to compile your own software for your own needs. Pretty much all engineering software is available for Linux. Running a server for just about anything(ssh,ftp,web,etc) is free and (relatively) easy.

Mac
Pros
Hardware/trackpad as stated above
Low count of malware
proper user accounts
iLife comes with the machine.
Great software like Quicksilver, better touch tool, Parallels to name a few.
Able to still run Windows with bootcamp or parallels.
Some Steam games are now available

Cons
Finder is pretty weak for managing files (one can claim Mac doesn't need file management as much as other OSes)
Docking stations for laptops are 3rd party and not that great.
Some software used in enterprise is unavailable native on Mac (you can run virtual machines or bootcamp to get around this but that means you need better hardware to run all those VMs, or a reboot)
MS Office - if you can live without it good for you, if you need to use it - it is just different enough from the PC to **** you off and until VBA comes back any complex documents won't come through correctly.
Entourage Sucks
Upgrading certain parts may void your applecare.

Windows
Pros
Your company probably supports it better.
MS Office has VBA
With Vista/Win7/IE8 maleware count has decreased
More compelling games available
Hardware choice
Yes there is a lot of junk software but there is a lot of very good software for windows.
Outlook is very good groupware
Windows Explorer has become quite good to manage files.

Cons
BS that they charged you for a new OS (windows 7) when all they did was fix the disaster that was Vista.
Still a target for more malware

Linux
Pros
Free
Software source is available for modification
Cad/Cam software
Server software
Free alternatives sometimes better than commercial software (Apache for example)

Cons

Support is usually on the web on forums/email lists - meaning you have to do the legwork yourself.(Some could say this is a pro)
Free alternatives not always up to sunff
Software availability

See the cons above

Mac's build quality and support is quite good. This is because they make the hardware and OS so there is no finger pointing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook, non-Pro, Snow Leopard
I just addressed this very issue in a couple of blog posts last night; it's not formatted quite the way you have it laid out, but the answers are all there.

Fair warning: I'm a Linux guy first and foremost. I like a lot of things about my Mac, but my primary OS remains Linux unless and until Apple corrects a few deficiencies that drive me up the wall when trying to use a Mac.

On price: tryzub, by the way...
That post is more relevant to a Windows user.

On everything else: tryzub, Linux vs. Mac: A first look
As the title suggests, it's looking at the difference between Linux and Mac, so while the comparison aspect may be meaningless to you, it does lay out fairly clearly what I like and dislike about Mac, which is the very topic of this discourse.

The TL;DR version is quite nicely summed up in the last sentence of the first post:

Bleys said:
To paraphrase @BrianCarper, given the choice between going back to Windows and becoming a horse rectum inspector, I’ll gladly take the rectums.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.