Why will my new Mac not eject my CD?

Reaction score
This is very frustrating. I've had trouble getting my Mac (MacBook Pro 13" 2.66GHz) to eject iPods and my external harddrive, and it freezes every time I try to restart. Now, it won't eject a CD. It says the CD has been ejected, but nothing has come out!

So far I am extremely disappointed with Mac. This is not what I was expecting at all when I bought the thing, and Apple Care is only available until 9PM Eastern... How about some service for Western clients until late? Very silly for a big company.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You for sure have some sort of issue with your machine. I eject drives here all the time in a few seconds. Like I said in the other thread, Windows gives the same warning and the same damage can happen if you do not eject.

On the DVD/CD not ejecting, something is either wrong with the optical drive of your media. Seen both.

You really need to take the machine into Apple and SHOW then your 30 second drive eject , Stuck CD and freezing trying to restart. If the Machine is this new, things like this should not be happening.

As a temp measure to get out the CD, Try booting the machine with the mouse button down. Press it right after the startup sound and keep it down. Did the CD eject?

OP
T
Reaction score
It did. Thanks for that, dtravis... I'll take my machine in tomorrow or the next day, as I'd like this fixed.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Glad you got out the CD! Keep us posted if you will on what happens when you take it to Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
This one of those silly Apple design fetishes - no little buttons must disturb the lovely surfaces - instead, everything relies on software and sometimes software doesn't work very well. What happens then? The CD or DVD gets stuck and you have to reboot the machine to get it out - nice physical design but crappy user satisfaction.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.