Buying my First Mac: I look forward to your help. Thanks

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have never owned a Mac, I have used a IBM now Lenovo ThinkPad for the last 6 years (T41, T60, T61). They had been really great, but it time for an upgrade again and its my senior year in college. I don't know much about Macs, other than that they are We Liked by those who own them and they can Run Windows now.

Again I no nothing about Macs other than the ones we used back in High School that were funk colors and I know they changed alot and would really appreciate all of your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 12TB Yosmite
Spend plenty of time search these very forums, and you will soon become more knowledgable with the Mac, and OSX. I switched a little while back, and this forum has been a great resource, and has a really friendly, helpful community too.

OP
T
Reaction score
13.3 Macbook Pro get any changes in the near future?

Will the macbook pro 13 inch get any changes in the near future. Like better resolution or iX Processor?

My first post regarding this was deleted so I rephrased it hopefully it meets the required specifications.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Will the macbook pro 13 inch get any changes in the near future. Like better resolution or iX Processor?

My first post regarding this was deleted so I rephrased it hopefully it meets the required specifications.

Thanks

They just upgraded the 13" MBP. They added a better base processor, bigger hard drive, better battery, and different video chipset.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Absolutely. It just depends upon your definition of the word "near".

OP
T
Reaction score
before Sept 7th this coming school year. or what is the est from apple enthusiasts like you guys from past experience?

Like when IBM release a new ThinkPad T series; you can expect a Performance T version usually in before 2 months.

again thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Reaction score
Well first of all, welcome and congrats on the switch. Now choosing which one you want/need is the best/hardest part of switching to Apple. So, what are you going to use it for? What are your college classes, and are they what you are buying this for, or is it just going to be a new laptop for the new school year? The MacBooks are truely the best bang for your buck. And the MacBook Pros, however more expensive they are, are sometimes the best bet if you need the screen real estate. If you are able to get around with no problems on a 13" and aren't doing intensive graphic design, I recommend the MacBook. However, if you are doing graphics or the such, go for the MBP as you will have better performance parts inside (not to say MacBooks are bad) and you will have the choice of 13" 15" or 17". If you can go without being mobile, then the iMac series is a great choice. Much larger screens and very smooth performance. Or to save a bit of money, if you have your own monitor/TV, keyboard and mouse, go for the newly designed Mac Mini. It is very nice from what I have read. I had one of the older G4 Minis and it was great. They are the cheapest Mac, starting at $699. Good luck and I hope you let us know what you choose and how you like it, and be sure to ask questions if needed!

Kerb

OP
T
Reaction score
Well first of all, welcome and congrats on the switch. Now choosing which one you want/need is the best/hardest part of switching to Apple. So, what are you going to use it for? What are your college classes, and are they what you are buying this for, or is it just going to be a new laptop for the new school year? The MacBooks are truely the best bang for your buck. And the MacBook Pros, however more expensive they are, are sometimes the best bet if you need the screen real estate. If you are able to get around with no problems on a 13" and aren't doing intensive graphic design, I recommend the MacBook. However, if you are doing graphics or the such, go for the MBP as you will have better performance parts inside (not to say MacBooks are bad) and you will have the choice of 13" 15" or 17". If you can go without being mobile, then the iMac series is a great choice. Much larger screens and very smooth performance. Or to save a bit of money, if you have your own monitor/TV, keyboard and mouse, go for the newly designed Mac Mini. It is very nice from what I have read. I had one of the older G4 Minis and it was great. They are the cheapest Mac, starting at $699. Good luck and I hope you let us know what you choose and how you like it, and be sure to ask questions if needed!

Kerb

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook, non-Pro, Snow Leopard
I looked at both MacBook and MacBook Pro, albeit refurbs. The only difference I saw for the 13" was that the Pro had a smaller hard drive, so I went with the standard. It might be different if you're buying new, or supplies vary in another location (I was using the Canadian Apple store. Since they shipped from Concord, ON, I know they keep separate inventories for each country)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.