Moving files from folder to folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 4GB/250GB 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor running Mac OS X 10.6.3
When I switched over my music files from my PC to my mac, I had them put in some different folders.

Some files are under 'Music'; others are under Music > iTunes. I would love to get all of my music files under iTunes, or simply under Music. How do I move all of them from one file to another? In PC, you would highlight all the files, and click and drag them. Is that how you do it in Mac?

I was wondering if there was an operation where I could have the computer select all MP3 files present on the computer, and then move them all to a selected location. It seems I am missing some songs I had on my PC, but I can't find where they are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
It really depends on what version of OSX you're running.

For instance, I'm on 10.6.4.
I can open Finder, click in the search window (upper right corner of the Finder window), and type "mp3". It will find all files with mp3 in the file name. Be sure you have selected your entire hard drive to search through. You can find that in the far left column. When you click on the file, at the bottom of Finder it shows you where that file is located.
If I were you, I'd decide on one location for all your music then find all your mp3's, highlight the ones you want to move to that specific location you decided on and just drag them... there's a couple methods to drag. You can open another Finder window and go to the folder you want to drag everything to, then drag from one window to another. OR once you've highlighted everything, drag the files to the left column over your name and hold it there or ever-so-slightly move the mouse back and forth. Then it will open the directory under your name, while still holding down the mouse or trackpad button, keep dragging to the next folder and the next folder until you've drilled down to where you want them to go. It's not as difficult as it sounds with a little practice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
In PC, you would highlight all the files, and click and drag them. Is that how you do it in Mac?

Yes. The only difference might be that you'll want to have both the source and target folders open before you start dragging, unless you're familiar with spring-loaded folder action.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Yes. The only difference might be that you'll want to have both the source and target folders open before you start dragging, unless you're familiar with spring-loaded folder action.

MUCH more elegantly said than my long ramblings!
I need an editor to summarize my posts. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.