PDA

View Full Version : Transferring an iMovie to External Hardrive

creative
06-16-2010, 03:45 PM
I am looking to transfer an iMovie to an external hard drive. Any external drive that I attach shows up in iMovie but with a yellow triangle with the exclamation point in it. Any info on how to do this would be appreciatted.

Having trouble on my iMac exporting the movie so I would like to transfer it to a newer mac and export there.

xstep
06-16-2010, 05:48 PM
iMovie version?

Picture of what you are seeing is worth a thousand words.

Moving a project from one Mac to another may not solve your export problem. If you are getting an error message, explicitly list it.

As far as I know, the yellow triangle with the exclamation mark only appears in iMovie 08 & 09.

creative
06-20-2010, 01:55 PM
I am running iMovie 09. This is more of an issue with my iMac than iMovie. I suspect that I have some bad RAM though it checks out OK when I run a check. If I try to export the movie the iMac just crashes. It is also a very large iMovie project. 44 minutes.

That's why I want to transfer to my external and finish from my other Mac.

xstep
06-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Reasons for a crash can vary and can be difficult to trace. You could try opening the Console.app in the Utilities folder and look for hints in the output messages.

As for moving a project, check out this thread (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/movies-video/204944-imovie.html) that will direct to some others to understand the layout, what to move, and possible limitations.

terrencemichael
01-07-2012, 11:00 PM
I am looking to transfer an iMovie to an external hard drive. Any external drive that I attach shows up in iMovie but with a yellow triangle with the exclamation point in it. Any info on how to do this would be appreciatted.

Having trouble on my iMac exporting the movie so I would like to transfer it to a newer mac and export there.

Hello I had the same problem, the H/D showed up on my iMovie as a yellow triangle etc, so I moved all the contents to another H/D and then formatted it not to FAT that was the problem it had been formatted for me to FAT so reformatting to mac extended journaled did the trick . For me anyway. cheers