Text Messaging Over Screen Sharing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
Is there a way to send a text message to a person on the host computer over screen sharing?

I have a teenage son who uses our iMac to go on the Internet and I monitor his I usage with my MacBook from time to time with screen sharing. I want to be able to send him warning messages, if I think what he's doing or where he's going is not appropriate. I guess I could just use iChat, but that seems to be a bit of overkill. Is there an application I could use to write a message, send it (or drag it) and have it pop up on his screen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Apple Remote Desktop if you want to spend $500.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP
take control of his keyboard and mouse, open textedit and write him a message. :D

OP
MacShane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
take control of his keyboard and mouse, open textedit and write him a message. :D

I tried that this morning, but he just closed Text Edit before I had a chance to type the entire message out. Is there a way to take control of the the mouse and keyboard remotely so that he can't use it while I'm sharing his screen?

OP
MacShane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The "write command" in terminal looks like it would work well, but I'm unsure of the context for "ttyname". Would that be the computer name or IP address or something else? I'm going to test this out, when I get home from work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.