New Mac user -- Need help choosing the right mac for windows

Reaction score
Hello all--

I have the 2.16 GHZ core 2 duo that I recently upgraded to 3 GB RAM ( MA609 ) that I understand can only address 3 GB RAM even though its maxed out to 4 GB RAM.
I was therefore contemplating buying a gently used MB133LLA ( 2.4 GHZ, 4 GB RAM ) to take advantage of 4GB RAM but it is an additional $300. Since I want to run windows on VMware should I save the $300 and stick to my original config with a 3GB unmatched RAM with the hope that windows XP will do fine on the MA609 or is it worth spending the extra $ and getting the MB133LLA and running 4GB matched pair. Any experiences on this config will be appreciated.

Please help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I would stick to the original config, because when using VMWare, you have to section off the RAM you want Windows to use, and VMware won't be able to use all 3 GBs you have installed anyways. If you want to take full advantage of Windows on your Mac, use Bootcamp. I do on mine, am running Windows 7 x64 on a seperate partition, and it runs well using all 4 GBs of RAM available.

OP
L
Reaction score
thanks. How do I configure VMWare to use the max possible RAM or for that matter how does one see how much RAM its currently using ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
XP can only use about 3 GB of RAM but it's nice to have more on your Mac because when you use VMWare or Parallels you are dividing your RAM and CPU but more RAM is not completely necessary depending on what you do. You have to get Windows 7 64-bit if you want to use more RAM.

I don't know what version of VMWare you have but if it's version 3 at the startup window you should see a settings button. Once you are in the settings window then go to your processors & RAM section.

Unless you are doing something really intensive in XP you don't need to give it more than one processor and no more than 1 GB RAM. That's all I give XP in VMWare and it runs fine. If you really are using Windows that intensively where you need more then you should boot natively into Windows using Boot Camp or get a faster computer with more RAM maximum. You really shouldn't give Windows too much resources because you still need enough left over for your Mac to run smoothly. Remember you are basically run two computers at the same time so both sides need enough to run well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks. How do I configure VMWare to use the max possible RAM or for that matter how does one see how much RAM its currently using ?

When you're creating a new virtual machine, there should be a settings pane, but it does have the option to choose the settings it recommends for the certain operating system you're going to be installing. I do agree with EndlessMac, if it's XP, 1 processor core is enough with 1GB of RAM. I would choose more isolated mode instead of more seamless as well, because you don't want anything getting into your Mac, say if you get a virus through Windows. That's what I do as a precaution. To see how much RAM VmWare is using, as well as any application for that matter, you have a few options. I use the istatpro widget in dashboard (it's free), but you can just use activity monitor in utilities as well.

OP
L
Reaction score
still... ?

guys ...thanks.. I did ugrade to 3GB RAM, gave VmVARE 1GB but still activity monitor shows me only 15 MB free. It also says 600MB inactive.

So should I worry about the 15 MB or is that not a stat thats important as opposed to the " inactive" stat.

Am I good or do I need that additional 1GB RAM in which case I will have to dish out another $300 and get a 4GB 2.4 Ghz config.

Please help and advise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nah you should be fine, mine says the same to me. Yes it is a bit slow. but it's not to big a deal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.