Safari Dictionary?

T

Tel

When a word is highlighted in Safari, there is an option in the right click menu to look that word up in the dictionary. However when I click this it does nothing at all... What exactly should it do? Take me to an online dictionary? Does anyone else have this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
it opens up a dictionary, I looked up the word problem in your post.

Picture 2.png

OP
T

Tel

Thanks, that explains it then, I moved my dictionary app to a sub folder of the aplications folder, I tried moving it back and it works but I really would like it to stay in its sub folder, its a lot neater and more organized. Any ideas how I might be able to set Safari to be able to recognise that its in another location?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no sorry I do not have any idea how you could achieve this, I am off to bed now, I have school tommorow :( I will see if I can figure this all out tommorow, sorry for not being able to do it now, I am kind of tired.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so it turns out I gave up sleeping, and decided to stay up to see If I could figure out your problem, So I searched around and I played with safari, I was unable to figure this out, hopefully somebody else on the forum will have an idea.

OP
T

Tel

lol, I don't sleep anyway, I only get 3-4 hours a night and thats all I need for a fresh start. Anymore than that and I can't really sleep. 4:32am :dummy:

Its only a minor thing, and its my fault really for having such an obsessive file structure but it would be nice...

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
What you want to do is make an alias, which a shortcut for you switchers out there. :eek:

Control-click on the app, select Make Alias.

I've got a tip for you, for using the dictionary app. Hold down command + ctrl + d (once you press d, it's okay to let go of d, while still holding down command + ctrl), then hover the cursor over a word or move the cursor along the sentence to look up words on the fly.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I was going to say the same thing iWhat. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if you non in safari the command ctrl d hides and shows the dock, I did not know this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.