Drive encryption on the Windows 7 partition of a bootcamp configuration

Reaction score
Hello Mac Forum :)

Some other threads I read out there, that somewhat touched on this topic, didn't quite address what I'm looking to do. So I hope I can find my answer here.

I'm wondering if someone here has implemented whole disk encryption on a Macbook Pro that has Snow Leopard on one partition and Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on the other using bootcamp.

We have mostly Windows XP and 7 laptops in our environment with the exception of 2 users who have the configuration mentioned above. For the Windows only laptops we are using a mix of Truecrypt (XP) and Bitlocker (7) for whole disk encryption. The Macbook is using File Vault for the Snow Leopard side.

I arrived at the Macbook with the intention of encrypting the Windows 7 partition with True Crypt since there is no TPM technology on the Macbook to enable Bitlocker. I received a nasty error saying that it needed 32kb of space at disk start. I'm not sure why this error happens, but I assume it has something to do with the way Mac boots that is different than Windows.

Can someone recommend the best way to get the Windows side safely and successfully encrypted without having to pay for a solution?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can understand TrueCrypt not working because it actually creates a virtual disk and encrypts it as such. Probably because the Win 7 partition is setup to boot from EFI and does not use a real Windows boot sector.

However, I'm not sure why Bit Locker which is included with your Windows Ultimate 64 isn't working. It may be for the same reason above?

Anyway, what are you guys placing on those machines that you need so much security? Encryption is fine for those who really need it but I've run across folks, even businesses that encrypt when not needed. Any kind of failure or screw up with encryption usually winds up rendering the entire hard drive with all its data useless.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.