• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Letter to Apple: Here's Your Newton

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
DVforge let Mac Whispers (outdated link removed) post a letter to apple explaining how easy it would be to make a new PDA and have in production within 4 months. It's an interesting letter, but I think the proposed $999 price tag is a bit much for a handheld even if it does run a full version of OSX and has a 40GB hd. Who the heck needs that in a handheld anyway . :blink:

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I agree with you schweb, the price of $999 is very expensive for a pda. Looking at the disk size of 40gb is a bit large to me. I wonder what they plan to run on it? I don't use a pda, and have not found a need for it. With the advancement of the cell phone. Who needs a pda. I think in the near future that the pda and the cell phone will merge.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I use a PDA, A Dell PocketPC (which if you're reading this Apple...PLEASE build PocketPC syncing into iSync!!!). I really find it invaluable for my job since I always have tons of changing meetings and tasks, I'd never be able to catch up. The PDA outlined in that letter though sounds more like an ultra-compact tablet rather than a PDA. If I was going to spend that much, I'd just buy a laptop.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I forgot about keeping track of meetings. I guess I don't attend enough meeting for a pda. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
my iPod has alerts and a calendar that syncs with iCal, and my addrress book is on there. if apple made a phone with some extra options, then i dont think many people would still want the newton.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I have one of those Compaq iPaq... I don't use it... But I'm sure if I could get the same functionality out of a phone, I would definately make use of syncing and stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" iMac 700 MHz G4 640 MB
I have a palm and only use it for games. I would rather see a new Pin Pin.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.