Restoring a new mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Getting a Macbook Pro i7 in June. I also own an iPhone 3GS.
I just bought a Mac from someone that was 5 days old. I want to restore it so that I can start fresh. I inserted the disc, restarted and held C. It gave me the option to install Mac OSX and now it's doing it... but it didn't say anything about wiping the hard drive clean and restoring to factory settings. The guy that sold it to me said that I wanted to choose the option to completely restore and not keep any of the old data.

So did I do something wrong? It says it will take 50 minutes to install OSX... am I just going to have to wait it out and start over?

OP
HonestIllusion
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Getting a Macbook Pro i7 in June. I also own an iPhone 3GS.
Yeah I just read the manual like I should have done to begin with. It mentions that I want to use the utility to erase the hard drive and then install the OS. Sorry for the premature post but thanks for the response. I guess I have to play the waiting game.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
This post may be a bit late, but there's not really any need to erase the drive, especially on one that's only five days old. Just erase his user account (if he still has one on the Mac, that is) and you should be fine. This isn't Windows where your computer will get bogged down by all kinds of junk from normal use. Just plug it in and enjoy!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.