Questions About Switching From Verizon

Reaction score
Hey everybody. :) I'm thinking about switching from Verizon to get the iPhone 4 and I have some questions about it.

1) Will I have to pay to port my number from Verizon. I heard on a site that you might have to pay to port your number.

2) How is the service? I live in northern New Jersey near Newark. I know it isn't as good as Verizon but I can deal with that as I'm getting a awesome phone.

3) As a new customer, should I have it shipped to my house or should I go to the Apple store/AT&T? Can I have it shipped to my house and then go to either of them to activate?

Well, I still have to pay the ETF. But that's only around 80. No biggie. This switch should be easy as I'm an Apple fanboy, I have an iPod touch and my phone is horrible.

OP
A
Reaction score
Another question about porting.

Should I initiate activating service on the iPhone before canceling service with Verizon when porting or no?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
1. Porting should be free

2. I used to live in central Jersey and my iPhone worked great. I go back to visit several times a year and I visit NYC often, and I get great service.

3. Since you need to port a number, you're going to need to take it to the AT&T store. However, it does not matter how you acquire the phone. Best bet would be to order online to avoid long lines.

As for porting, general rule of thumb is to activate your new service and port your number and then deactivate your previous account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
When I switched from Verizon to AT&T the cancelation was automatic. Once AT&T took my number Verizon automatically canceled the account for my line. Never had to talk to them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
AT&T should take care of everything. When they port your number, your Verizon service will be canceled at the same time. You won't have to contact Verizon at all.

Reaction score
Hey everybody. :) I'm thinking about switching from Verizon to get the iPhone 4 and I have some questions about it.

1) Will I have to pay to port my number from Verizon. I heard on a site that you might have to pay to port your number.

2) How is the service? I live in northern New Jersey near Newark. I know it isn't as good as Verizon but I can deal with that as I'm getting a awesome phone.

3) As a new customer, should I have it shipped to my house or should I go to the Apple store/AT&T? Can I have it shipped to my house and then go to either of them to activate?

Well, I still have to pay the ETF. But that's only around 80. No biggie. This switch should be easy as I'm an Apple fanboy, I have an iPod touch and my phone is horrible.

1. You don't have to pay extra, ATT did everything
2. The service is good, i live in north nj and i used to go to school in newark so it worked fine. The phone connection drops sometimes. The 3G speeds are the fastest with ATT though.
3. Go to the store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.