iPhone 4 dock

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the dock for the 4 is any different thank the current iPhone/iPod docks? I wasn't sure because of the different shape of the phone. I sure hope not. I have 2 docks and I'd hate to have to have buy 2 more and have 4 total for the 4 and iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 3GS 16GB Ipad 16GB
Yes,I would like to know also?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I would think they'd keep the connector the same (or similar enough) and use of the current docks..but won't know for certain for another couple of weeks till it's released..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4's dock is sure to be different than the 3G/3GS dock. The shape is totally different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
iPhone 4's dock is sure to be different than the 3G/3GS dock. The shape is totally different.

not necessarily... the dock i use has plenty of from around the phone so if the connector is the same (which likely it will...) it would fit just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS
The shape of iPhone 4 vs. 3G/3GS is totally different tho. One has a curved back (3G/3GS) the other has a flat back. Yes it may fit, but since iPhone 4 is thinner, you will be relying totally on the port to hold the phone up, which over time may cause damage to the port or the connector. Not to mention the change in shape will not be a "glove" fit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
I'd say that the iPod Touch thinner insert for the dock would work fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
The docks are usually very form-fitting, which is really frustrating when changing to newer phones. Since the new phone is a little wider, IIRC, it probably won't fit.

It would be really nice if Apple, or a third party manufacturer, just made a simple base with an oversized opening and form-fitting plastic inserts that can be changed out as you upgrade.

I mean, I know Apple wants to make money, but throw a freakin' bone to those of us that duke you a big wad of cash every year for your latest and greatest devices!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
The docks are usually very form-fitting, which is really frustrating when changing to newer phones. Since the new phone is a little wider, IIRC, it probably won't fit.

It would be really nice if Apple, or a third party manufacturer, just made a simple base with an oversized opening and form-fitting plastic inserts that can be changed out as you upgrade.

I mean, I know Apple wants to make money, but throw a freakin' bone to those of us that duke you a big wad of cash every year for your latest and greatest devices!

They do and always have ! Here is the Apple uni-dock:

Apple Universal Dock - Apple Store (U.S.)

and here is the insert they sold when the 3g came out and I am sure they will make one for the iPhone 4

iPhone 3G Universal Dock Adapter 3-Pack - Apple Store (U.S.)

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
^^ Thanks for the info! I've never looked to buy one, but imagined someone must be making them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
The shape of iPhone 4 vs. 3G/3GS is totally different tho. One has a curved back (3G/3GS) the other has a flat back. Yes it may fit, but since iPhone 4 is thinner, you will be relying totally on the port to hold the phone up, which over time may cause damage to the port or the connector. Not to mention the change in shape will not be a "glove" fit.

very good point....

Reaction score
The universal dock for the iPhone supports use of the Apple Remote via IR. Thankfully, you can still plug the new iPhone 4 into the original Universal dock (with the dock adapter).

Reaction score
Has anyone actually tried the new dock yet? Is anything except a naked iPhone 4 gonna fit in there? I ordered one hoping that the iPhone + bumper would fit, but now I'm doubting that it will. Anyone tried?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.