• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

This is a challenge. Convert AVI to stills.

B

badmojo

My father's girlfriend has a year-old Canon point-and-shoot camera that also takes movies. She somehow had her camera set to movie mode instead of picture mode and proceeded to take 150+ movies on a recent European vacation. I've been tasked with screen capturing from those 150+ AVIs in order that at least something of the trip is preserved.

Quicktime 7 will view and play the movies but I want to grab a screenshot from the movie and turn it into a JPEG or other picture format. My dad was told by someone at a camera store that iPhoto has a "grab" option that will do this, but I can't find it. Nor can I find this option on QT 7 standard. If QT Pro will do it, I'll upgrade to it, no problem.

If I can successfully complete this task my reward is an all-expenses paid visit to Ruth's Chris steakhouse for me and my wife, so I'm motivated here.

Thanks for your help, in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Apple + Shift + 4 will bring up cross hairs allowing you to select whatever you want, saving it to your desktop

Or a little quicker just not as pretty is pressing Spacebar once the cross hairs come up, this turns the Crosshairs into a camera, click the QuickTime window and it takes a screenshot of the window

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
You could also try using converting it to a JPEG sequence using an editing program like Adobe Premiere or some video conversion utility... I don't think FCP/Compressor will open AVI files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Not sure if this is only in QuickTime Pro but if you go to File -> Export you can go from Movie -> Picture and export it as a jpeg from there as well

OP
B

badmojo

sarahsboy18 said:
You could also try using converting it to a JPEG sequence using an editing program like Adobe Premiere or some video conversion utility... I don't think FCP/Compressor will open AVI files.

I'm going to use the mod's suggestion and get them all into PNG files. From there, I hope I can get automator to convert them to JPEGs.

OP
B

badmojo

Automator Question:

I've figured out how to do a batch image conversion in automator, but I cannot figure out how to put the file in a specific folder as a third step in the process. I've attached a screenshot of my automator so far, and it's self explanatory. I want my step 3 to be the equivalent of "place in folder xxxx". Is this possible?

automator.jpg

OP
B

badmojo

badmojo said:
Automator Question:

I've figured out how to do a batch image conversion in automator, but I cannot figure out how to put the file in a specific folder as a third step in the process. I've attached a screenshot of my automator so far, and it's self explanatory. I want my step 3 to be the equivalent of "place in folder xxxx". Is this possible?

Never mind....I'm getting too technical with myself. It changes them in the SAME folder. Man, automator is great.

OP
B

badmojo

trpnmonkey41 said:
Not sure if this is only in QuickTime Pro but if you go to File -> Export you can go from Movie -> Picture and export it as a jpeg from there as well

Yea, that's a pro-only feature, but it may be a worthwhile feature to upgrade to pro.

OP
B

badmojo

All done. Thanks all for your suggestions; it really helped. Mods, you can delete this thread if you want to. mac-forums rule.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.