Newsgroup Readers?

M

MACATTACK

Hi, I'm a newly converted Mac user and I'm used to using a newsgroup program called Xnews for my binary downloads. I was wondering if anyone knows of a newsreader with similar capabilities, I know of Thoth and MT-Newswatcher, but MT-Newswatcher crashes like crazy on me, and Thoth is shareware... Any suggestions will be appreciated, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I use Thoth and I love it, well worth the money to register it. To be honest, I think OS X just has a lack in general of good newsreaders. Good luck in your search!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Hmm.. Ill talk to scriptsoftware and see if they might be interested in taking something like that on... What features would you be looking for in a "GREAT" newsreader?

OP
M

MACATTACK

Re

Hey guys, thanks so much for the replies, I went to download Thoth and tried to for extracting binaries and it works great! =)

In regards to what I find to be a "Great" newsreader, I'd like to list out features, but i think all I have to do is point to the newsreader "Xnews" for Microsoft Windows. The awesome thing about that program is that it's extremely bloat-free, has a simple realtime updating filter (like Thoth), supports all the necessary encoding for binaries without plugins, simple subsribe/unscribe with a click and is a breeze to setup. Basically it's usable and fully functional after you input your news server name.

Oh, and best of all: It costs $0.00

I understand some people demand even more features for their newsreaders, but Xnews is an example of a good entry level reader with a simple interface and is a step up from stuff like mozilla and outlook.

MT-newswatcher is a promising program, but at it's current 3.3b state, it's unusable for me in OSX 10.2.8, it crashes on me very very often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Ill give them this address to take a look at what you guys have said so far and see if they are interested.. they might be, but don't hold your breath :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch iMac, 1GB RAM, 160 GB hard drive
Okay, seriously, what's the deal?

schweb said:
I use Thoth and I love it, well worth the money to register it. To be honest, I think OS X just has a lack in general of good newsreaders. Good luck in your search!
How do I download Thoth? I've tried Google, and Limewire, and www.macupdate.com. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
MT-Newswatcher version 3.4 final is out, with many bug fixes (at least according to the version history) related to binary handling. Maybe you'll get lucky...
http://www.smfr.org/mtnw/downloading.html#MTNW34

Has anyone tried Mozilla Thunderbird's news client?
http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/
It's supposed to be less bloated than the full Mozilla suite.

(EDIT: It seems there's another of those semi-exhaustive MacOrchard software lists for newsreaders...http://www.macorchard.com/usenet.html. Enjoy.)

OP
T

TylerMoney

What about Zino reader?...isn't that a newsreader?....or am I just confused?

It seemed to be a pretty cool program to me. My PB came with a free digital versin of macworld for the Zino Reader, and it worked great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.