Wanna switch... But what to do??

S

Snowman11

I'm a PC enthusiast and want a mac to see if it is for me...
I have various pc's and an Evo laptop and have used several linux distros.
I have read that the mini has a slow rpm hd (4200?) and it needs to have at least 512 ram for tiger.

I'm looking at a dual 450 powermac or even a imac g4.

Any suggestions??

Snowman

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Since you brought up the speed of the drive in the mac mini, what is the speed of the drive in the dual 450 Powermac you are looking at? I only ask, because if they are the same. Then I would look at the Mac mini. As for the iMac g4 it depends on the specs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If you are looking for an older G4, you can go to www.secondhandmac.com or maybe trying your luck on eBay would be a good route as well.

OP
S

Snowman11

rman said:
Since you brought up the speed of the drive in the mac mini, what is the speed of the drive in the dual 450 Powermac you are looking at? I only ask, because if they are the same. Then I would look at the Mac mini. As for the iMac g4 it depends on the specs.

Don't older powermac g4's use 7200 rpm hd's? I just want to try it out (hook up to kvm) and see what the hubbub is all about... :)

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Snowman11 said:
I'm a PC enthusiast and want a mac to see if it is for me...
I have various pc's and an Evo laptop and have used several linux distros.
I have read that the mini has a slow rpm hd (4200?) and it needs to have at least 512 ram for tiger.

I'm looking at a dual 450 powermac or even a imac g4.

Any suggestions??

Snowman

My 1.42 Ghz Mini has 512Mb RAM and is noticably faster than my G4 iMac which has a 7200 rpm HD. The cheapest way around the HD on the Mini is simply to hook up a fast external firewire HD.

For sheer bang-for-buck it is difficult to beat the new eMacs btw although you do need to watch out for the odd hernia.

Amen-Moses

OP
S

Snowman11

Snowman11 said:
Don't older powermac g4's use 7200 rpm hd's? I just want to try it out (hook up to kvm) and see what the hubbub is all about... :)

Oh I'm looking at a dual g4 450, dual g4 867, or imac g4....
Any suggestions..?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
I have, like you, used several linux distros. I wasn't fond of windows, but Linux still had a way to go, imho.

When I went to Mac, I loved it. I can see the Unix influence, but it is easy to use and more 'user friendly' than most linux distros.

I would get the most powerful system you can (dual 867 sounds nice), keeping enough money left over to upgrade the RAM to 512 at minimum, preferably more...or save up money to get a new mac. And if you really like Linux, many distros have PPC versions available (for the PowerPC architecture in all current macs) and Mac will be moving to Intel soon, so then I would assume every distro will run on it...but I don't think you will want to run linux once you have tried OS X!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.