• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

No-contract iPhone 4 starts at $599

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would buy one for $599 if Apple would officially unlock it, Like they do in Australia and other countries. But $599 for a locked one, No way.

Yah, that is pretty tough to swallow. AT&T did recently change their policy regarding unlocking phones, though anything they have an exclusive on for a year or more won't be eligible for unlocking, iirc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" Mid-2015.
So, if you are in the middle of a two year contract and are not able to upgrade...

Can you just buy a no contract iphone and put your original iphone sim into that one?

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, if you are in the middle of a two year contract and are not able to upgrade...

Can you just buy a no contract iphone and put your original iphone sim into that one?

Nope... the new iPhone has a micro-SIM. The old ones do not. But even if you are buying it off-contract, you wouldn't need to go through this bother. The only difference in buying it on or off-contract is the pricing.

And if you are in the middle of a contract now, you may be able to get the renewal pricing now (AT&T is bumping up the date for many people, depending on various factors). If you log into your account and check your upgrade options, you'll know sure where you stand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz, 4gigs RAM white macbook, Seagate Hybrid Drive =)
I will buy the 16g if there is a way of unlocking it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
32G iPad
Unlock will be out by end of month from dev. Team.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

I read they already have the unlock for 4.0 there just waiting for the iPhone 4 to hit the shelves either way, I just sold my Nexus One yesterday will be making the switch back to iPhone at this end of this month.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I read they already have the unlock for 4.0 there just waiting for the iPhone 4 to hit the shelves either way, I just sold my Nexus One yesterday will be making the switch back to iPhone at this end of this month.

Read the same. Also read how to get the GM of iOS 4 now (don't ask). I'm running it and HOLY ****! This is slicker than newborn's bottom! Apple has totally hit a home-run with this. Not just with the new features like multi-tasking and the folders, but the entire UI surrounding those. I mean… WOW!

My sole gripe at the moment is closing apps running in the background. You have to press/hold its icon in the pop-up taskbar until it wiggles with a "-" badge on it, then tap it. Much like the process of removing an app off the Springboard. That seems a bit more cumbersome than necessary, since so far everything I open stays in that taskbar on closing it out (but they are not actually running… none of my apps are 4.0 compliant yet) but I may be overlooking an easier method yet.

Oh yes, there does appear to be a framework for widgets, though I don't believe Apple has announced that yet. What I am seeing may be a one-time thing, or reserved for Apple's use… for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz, 4gigs RAM white macbook, Seagate Hybrid Drive =)

very cool, since I will be back in the US by the end of July I guess I will be able to unlock it and bring it back to Mexico :D

Reaction score
So here is my question, since it seems that I haven't seen an exact answer. Can I just buy the iphone in the store and not sign up for a contract? Just basically walk in and say "Hey can I get the 16gb white iphone"? I dont want att service because i'm only 22 and and I have no credit (In college) and their deposit is pretty steep. Since 2008 Ive had all 3 models but I ran a prepaid t mobile sim card also. I know about the microsim and my buddy has the microsim cutter for his ipad. I just wanna know will I be able to pay the $599, screw the contract and go about my business. Ill worry about Jailbreaking/Unlocking when the dev team pushes sometime out, I JUST REALLY WANT THIS PHONE. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
So here is my question, since it seems that I haven't seen an exact answer. Can I just buy the iphone in the store and not sign up for a contract? Just basically walk in and say "Hey can I get the 16gb white iphone"? I dont want att service because i'm only 22 and and I have no credit (In college) and their deposit is pretty steep. Since 2008 Ive had all 3 models but I ran a prepaid t mobile sim card also. I know about the microsim and my buddy has the microsim cutter for his ipad. I just wanna know will I be able to pay the $599, screw the contract and go about my business. Ill worry about Jailbreaking/Unlocking when the dev team pushes sometime out, I JUST REALLY WANT THIS PHONE. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

I'm pretty sure Apple & At&t completely stopped selling the iPhone out right after the first generation, I have been told you can walk into Bestbuy and pay full retail no questions asked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac | iPhone 4
I'm pretty sure Apple & At&t completely stopped selling the iPhone out right after the first generation, I have been told you can walk into Bestbuy and pay full retail no questions asked.

That is (at least was) true, because one time i went to get my iphone and the price was listed on the computer as 699 or whatever, and the guy said don't worry once we get your upgrade sorted out it will go down to 299...

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, but now the question is; Why is there a no contract, no commitment price? Im confused.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I would buy one for $599 if Apple would officially unlock it, Like they do in Australia and other countries. But $599 for a locked one, No way.

That's why I said it was going to cost 800 dollars from my other post. Going to have to end up going to the UK or Europe just to buy this phone, factory unlocked.

Reaction score
im in germany right now, working till october. cant wait to see how the factory unlocking over here pans out. ill be very excited if i can get one and bring it back for t mobile service in the states

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.