Get iPhone 4 or wait for Verizon?

Reaction score
I have a 16gb iPhone 3G. It's slow and apps crash all the time. I've taken it to apple about 6 times for this problem and every time they send me away with one of their refurb iphone 3gs (or whatever they give to customers) telling me its something different.

I also HATE AT&T. I live in the heart of Los Angeles. I drop calls ALL THE TIME and frequently get the little "o" icon where 3G should be.

My contract w/AT&T is up this year and I really DO NOT want to be with them any longer than I have to.

My concern is that if I get the iPhone 4 and Verizon gets it next year, I'm stuck with AT&T for another year.

What should I do? Advice is greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
I've never had apps crashing as a problem. its usually the developers problem not yours and the calls dropping is the provider usually not your phone. especially if youve had multiple phones and its doing the same thing on other phones. I had my 3gs replaced cause the board died in it and I couldnt place calls. I dont know about these refurbs your talking about but when I walked into the apple store they gave me a brand new phone.

I fear its just your network and the apps your trying to use that are the problem... Also do you restore your phone each time you get a new one with a backup? I did that and my phone still crashed so I didnt restore it last time and it worked fine. SO it could also be bad software *shrug*

Reaction score
I have a 16gb iPhone 3G. It's slow and apps crash all the time. I've taken it to apple about 6 times for this problem and every time they send me away with one of their refurb iphone 3gs (or whatever they give to customers) telling me its something different.

I also HATE AT&T. I live in the heart of Los Angeles. I drop calls ALL THE TIME and frequently get the little "o" icon where 3G should be.

My contract w/AT&T is up this year and I really DO NOT want to be with them any longer than I have to.

My concern is that if I get the iPhone 4 and Verizon gets it next year, I'm stuck with AT&T for another year.

What should I do? Advice is greatly appreciated!
im in the exact same situation as you.

Not really a fan of ATT, but dont really want any other phone. My contract is expiring this year as well

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My advice is if you really want to upgrade your iPhone to the new one, then stick with AT&T. I'm not a lover of Ma Bell either, but waiting for Verizon to get a version of the iPhone may be a long way off. Also, we should start seeing improvement in the AT&T network all across the US. One of their problems is that ever since the iPhone and now the iPad, their network is overwhelmed especially in large markets like LA and NY.

Be patient and stick with your current data plan.

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
I fear its just your network and the apps your trying to use that are the problem... Also do you restore your phone each time you get a new one with a backup? I did that and my phone still crashed so I didnt restore it last time and it worked fine. SO it could also be bad software *shrug*

Thanks for the help in trying to troubleshoot me, but I've done everything Apple has suggested including getting a new sim card from AT&T. I need advice on what to do now that the iPhone 4 is coming out.

...Also, we should start seeing improvement in the AT&T network all across the US. One of their problems is that ever since the iPhone and now the iPad, their network is overwhelmed especially in large markets like LA and NY

I've been hearing this since I got my iphone 3G, though. AT&T is basically giving us the run around. The fact that they not only took away unlimited date but ALSO raised their early termination fee to $300 does not make me more loyal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
I think I should clarify the "Ma Bell" comment someone else posted...AT&T is not AT&T, if you will; it's Cingular using AT&T's name. The AT&T that we know from before no longer exists.

Can't believe it, but my wife and I actually want to switch to the iPhone after we tried it out at the Apple Store...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I've been hearing this since I got my iphone 3G, though. AT&T is basically giving us the run around. The fact that they not only took away unlimited date but ALSO raised their early termination fee to $300 does not make me more loyal.

Neither of which affect you as long as you stay an AT&T customer since you are already grandfathered in.....

Clay

OP
A
Reaction score
Neither of which affect you as long as you stay an AT&T customer since you are already grandfathered in.....

Clay

It's like they're imprisoning me. I can leave if I want to but my bank account will suffer serious consequences.

If I get the new iPhone 4 and a Verizon iPhone comes out in the next year, I'm stuck with AT&T for a full year before I can leave.

BUT if I wait, I can get the new Verizon iPhone (which is unconfirmed) as soon as it launches without any $$ penalty.

What should I do??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only question you need to answer is wether you want the iPhone 4 or not ! If you do buy it ...if you don't then ...don't. In my very humble opinion if you dont want/ cannot afford an ETF then don't ever go out and get the latest phone or you will spend your life mad when someone else comes out with a better one ! The ETF is the cost of doing business if you want to play on the edge of tech in the phone world.

( and if you do get it and verizon gets one next year pay the ETF and sell the phone and its a wash !)

Just my thoughts
Clay

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm not a lover of Ma Bell either, but waiting for Verizon to get a version of the iPhone may be a long way off.

BUT if I wait, I can get the new Verizon iPhone (which is unconfirmed) as soon as it launches without any $$ penalty.
Is it just me or have these Verizon rumors not been bandied about for ages? I'm still a little puzzled when people keep holding out hope for a rumor that has been going on for ages with little to no proof that it will ever actually occur.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
Thanks for the help in trying to troubleshoot me, but I've done everything Apple has suggested including getting a new sim card from AT&T. I need advice on what to do now that the iPhone 4 is coming out.

you guys got unlimited data???? up here in canada there is no such thing as unlimited.. i have a 500mb data plan and its 30$ a month. you guys should be happy you get like 2 gigs for 25 bucks cause i'm getting *** raped up here and theres no such thing as "unlimited" data, lots of WIFI hopping for me .

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Is it just me or have these Verizon rumors not been bandied about for ages? I'm still a little puzzled when people keep holding out hope for a rumor that has been going on for ages with little to no proof that it will ever actually occur.

Ad nauseum. I'll believe it when I see it.

For now, my Droid Incredible works just fine and operates beautifully on Verizon's network. If it ever does happen, I will take a serious look at it - but the Incredible is really a very nice phone.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am also very much in agreement with Vansmith and CWA. I will believe it when I see it. It's been said for ages now yet there is not one sign of the iPhone going to Verizon.

As far as App crashing, I own an iPhone 3G 16GB. I can't remember any Application I have installed ever crashing and the OS has never once locked. Not sure what is going on, but with all I use this phone (especially with Wifi and many apps) it's sure not normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Here's another thing to mull over: I'm not too big a fan of ATT now either. I think what they've done with their data plan adjustment is despicable and they've got a pretty poor track record for their service where I was living in NYC. However, let's say that Verizon DOES get the iPhone in the middle of your next contract. Would you rather not see just how Verizon handles everything before signing on with them ?

I'd say it would be a lot better to wait, and see what Verizon's network is going to do vs ATT's with the same amount of customers on it. Because what if it turns out that they're no better at that point than ATT has been or will be ?

Just sayin...

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's another thing to mull over: I'm not too big a fan of ATT now either. I think what they've done with their data plan adjustment is despicable and they've got a pretty poor track record for their service where I was living in NYC. However, let's say that Verizon DOES get the iPhone in the middle of your next contract. Would you rather not see just how Verizon handles everything before signing on with them ?

I'd say it would be a lot better to wait, and see what Verizon's network is going to do vs ATT's with the same amount of customers on it. Because what if it turns out that they're no better at that point than ATT has been or will be ?

Just sayin...

Doug

A very fine and fair point !

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
What Doug b said. It's basically Verizon iPhone v1.0 if/when it gets here.

OP
A
Reaction score

Just sayin...

Doug

You make a great point, however, I believe that the choice of carriers is either AT&T or Verizon. To me, Verizon is vastly superior (I don't even consider T-Mobile or Sprint).

That being said, since I've had it on AT&T, if Verizon gets as bad or worse than AT&T, at least someone else is telling me they'll help me whereas AT&T has been telling me they'll help me for 2 years and nothing has been done (at least for me).

With all of this talk, I've been leaning towards getting the iPhone 4. The idea of selling my current iPhone 3g to pay for the cancellation fee was a great idea and I may try it with my 3g if I get the iPhone 4.

Anyone know how much a black, locked 16gb iPhone 3g in good condition would go for?

Reaction score
airwalk331, sounds like to me you just need to dump ATT, go to verizon and wait until they get the iPhone. you asked for it....

then when they do get the iPhone, you and everyone else will be in the exact same boat as people with the iPhone on ATT's network. Verizon WILL have the EXACT same problems ATT has with the iPhone.

when the iPhone hits Verizon, your data speeds will be much slower than on ATT's network, you will have the same dropped call problems and call quality issues.

Why you ask???? umm....bad phone hardware and software. Dont get me wrong I absolutely LOVE my iPhone 3G and am pleased with my service.

Reaction score
Anyone know how much a black, locked 16gb iPhone 3g in good condition would go for?

Wal-Mart is selling them for $99 will be hard to sell yours for more than that

edit.... sorry, its the 3Gs Walmart is selling for $99.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
The way I see it, should Verizon ever get the iPhone, it would probably alleviate most of the current AT&T problems people experience with dropped calls and such since they wouldn't be spread so thin anymore; two carriers would be sharing the load.

Plenty of people will cross over if that ever happens, so I'll jump on the 4th gen with AT&T for now and prize the day that Verizon steals their customers and gives me more bars... it's a win-win.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.