two questions

Reaction score
1. how do i select multiple items? like holding ctrl and clicking items on windows

2. how do i make the active window full screen faster than stretching it out and moving and stretching?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're referring to selecting multiple items like when in Finder..

If you click on the first item, hold down the "shift" key and then click on other items one by one or go down to the end of a stack and click. All will be selected.

As to your second question... You can not expand the window to full screen as is done in Windows. When you think about this, it makes more sense and is actually a more elegant way. How many times (using Windows) have you seen an application window expanded to full screen and go beyond its border so that you can no longer grab it and minimize? :p

Regards.

C

chas_m

1. To select continuous things (like say things in a list), click on the first item, shift-click on the last item, and everything in-between should be selected.

2. To select non-contiguous things (like say five photos out of 50), command-click on them.

3. In the Finder (and elsewhere) you can also "lasso" items by click-and-hold-and-drag.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Antgul, OS X will expand a window just enough to show all the contents on a page without empty space around it. For instance, if you are on a page that has one row of photos or something going across the top third of the window, clicking on the green Zoom button will only expand the window enough to show those photos without all the empty space below them. If you then navigate to another page that has a lot of text taking up the center portion of the page, clicking the zoom button will lengthen the window all the way down but not to either side. Then if you were to navigate to a large photo or a page that is filled from left to right and top to bottom with content, clicking the Zoom button will probably make the window "full screen".

This is apparently done so that no space is wasted, but if you really want to make the Zoom button behave like a Windows "Maximize" button, you can download a little tool called RightZoom.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
3. In the Finder (and elsewhere) you can also "lasso" items by click-and-hold-and-drag.

This is just making a box on the finder where everything inside the box is selected.

And this number 3 is very annoying at times. When you are inside a folder in list view and I try to drag a file somewhere, at times it'll drag the file and other tiles it will not move the file and will just delect everything in the folder below where I clicked. It's a little random which it does for me. Annoying yes but it's not too bad. I thought I'd just like to say that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

This is just making a box on the finder where everything inside the box is selected.

Well, inside the box and touching the edges of said box...
This method works well in Icon View, which is what I use for 99% of my windows.

The Shift-click method works well to select consecutive items in List View. I don't believe it was mentioned that you can skip around using Control-click, leaving some items unselected between those you click.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.