• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple to post biggest revenue increase in 7 quarters

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Source: MacMinute.com

Apple to post biggest revenue increase in 7 quarters
October 15, 2003 - 12:36 EDT Bloomberg notes that Apple is expected to report its biggest revenue increase in seven quarters today after the markets close. According to the average forecasts of analysts surveyed by Thomson Financial, fourth quarter sales should rise 15 percent, with net income of 7 cents a share on $1.7 billion in revenue, compared with a loss a year earlier. Analysts are pointing towards the success of Apple's iPod, iTunes Music Store, Power Mac G5, and new PowerBooks as the reason for the good financial news.

My Comments: Well if they ever get down to $15/share.. I think I just might purchase their stock :) A little late now I think.. although they definitely have room to grow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Yeah, it saddens me I never bought it when they were at 14ish :(

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple posts $44 million profit, iPod sales soar

Apple posts $44 million profit, iPod sales soar
October 15, 2003 - 16:39 EDT Apple on Wednesday posted a net profit of US$44 million, or 12 cents a share, for its fiscal fourth quarter ended September 27. These results compare to a loss of $45 million, or 13 cents a share, in the year-ago quarter. Revenues for the quarter were $1.715 billion, up 19 percent from the year-ago quarter. Analysts were expecting earnings of 7 cents per share, according to First Call. Apple said it shipped 787,000 Macintosh units during the quarter, up 7 percent from the year-ago quarter, as well as 336,000 iPods, up 140 percent from the year-ago quarter.

Apple said the quarter's results include an after-tax investment gain of $6 million, a favorable accounting transition adjustment of $3 million related to Apple's stock repurchase agreement, and a gain on settlement of the stock repurchase agreement of $6 million. Without these items, the company said its net income would have been $29 million, or 8 cents a share.

"It was a great new product quarter for Apple," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "We launched the Power Mac G5, the fastest personal computer in the world, new PowerBooks and new iPods. Plus, we're delivering Panther, the next major release of Mac OS X, later this month and we'll have some exciting news regarding our music efforts tomorrow."

"We are very pleased to have exceeded our revenue and profit targets for the fourth quarter," said Fred Anderson, Apple's CFO. "Our balance sheet remains strong and our working capital management is among the best in the industry. Looking ahead to the first quarter of fiscal 2004, we expect a sequential increase in revenues to about $1.9 billion and a slight sequential increase in GAAP earnings relative to the September quarter."

For the year, Apple reported net income of $69 million on revenues of $6.21 billion compared to net income of $65 million on revenues of $5.74 billion in 2002.

My Comments: Actually I am thinking about purchasing shares anyways.. hmm.. ugh such a hard decision.. but it goes against my under $10/share rule.. Ill let it go, but it would be kewl to own some apple shares! :)

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Highlights from Apple's Q4 financial conference call

Highlights from Apple's Q4 financial conference call
October 15, 2003 - 18:02 EDT Apple has just concluded a conference call with financial analysts and press regarding the company's fourth quarter financial results. MacMinute was present and here are a few of the highlights from the briefing:

• Highest quarterly revenue in three years
  • Strong sales of iPod, iSight, AppleCare, and Displays contributed greatly to results
  • 4-5 weeks of current inventory
  • 253,000 iMacs and eMacs shipped (US$279 million)
  • 137,000 iBooks shipped ($154 million)
  • 221,000 Power Macs shipped ($419 million); all three G5 models "shipping in volume"
  • 176,000 PowerBooks shipped ($348 million); "all time quarterly high for Apple"
  • 336,000 iPods shipped ($121 million)
  • iPod still commands no. 1 spot in MP3 player market
  • Focus on expanding worldwide sales: iPod will be offered at 8,000 resellers before Christmas
  • Apple retail stores had their first profitable quarter; $3.1 million revenue in Q4; $1 million profit
  • 6 Apple Stores opened during quarter; 65 currently
  • 73 stores planned to be open before Thanksgiving
  • Traffic still strong: 4.3 million people visited stores during quarter (3.1 in Q3)
  • SoHo store in New York shows "impressive" growth in traffic and sales
  • Traffic in Chicago is strongest of all stores; 375,000 visitors this quarter
  • Tokyo Apple Store will open before the end of the calendar year
  • "Widespread weakness" in K12 education sales
  • Poor sales due to reluctance of school districts to spend money in their first quarter
  • Education shipments declined 15%
  • Apple's "One-To-One" educational program is "the future of education"
  • Cash up $25 million sequentially
  • "Very well poised" for a strong upgrade cycle for professional customers due to G5, Quark 6, Panther
  • Japan unit sales up 27%
  • Europe unit sales up 16%
  • As of March iPod sales: 50-50 Mac/PC
  • CFO Fred Anderson did not deny iTunes for Windows
  • Apple pleased with "Store within a store" program
  • BestBuy pilot in 48 stores; some stores have badged Apple employees
  • "Too soon to draw any conclusions" as to success of program
  • "Extremely excited about Tokyo Japan opening"
  • Apple has a "huge install base" in Japan
My Comments: Very kewl.. man I want to buy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
wow, thats awesome.

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple shares decline over margin concerns

Apple shares decline over margin concerns
October 16, 2003 - 10:56 EDT Apple shares fell more than 8 percent early Thursday amid "concerns over fourth-quarter education and consumer sales and hints of less-than-inspiring gross margins ahead," CBS Marketwatch reports. Apple gave up US$2.03 a share to trade at $22.77 in the wake of Wednesday's fourth quarter earnings report.

My Comments: Well looking at their trend.. it looks like they gravitate between $12-25 per share.. three waves of it! Which means you just wait until they are back down to $12/share and then buy.. then sell at around $20 per share.. you made $8 / share.. and you just wait for the next wave :)

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.