iPad data in iPhone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
iPad data in iPhone? Few questions..

I successfully got the iPad Micro-SIM working in my iPhone 3GS, data works great! I plan on canceling my current phone plan with AT&T, and pretty much use Skype for everything, since $40/month sounds a lot better than $85. But I just had a couple questions that maybe someone can answer.

-Emergency calls. Legally all cell phones service or not should be able to contact emergency services. Is the iPad's data only SIM going to effect that at all? I suppose I can easily remove the SIM and do it that way. Since I never really had to make an emergency call with no service, do I just dial 911 (for example) and it will automatically connect to a Cell tower? Not quite sure how that works and I know Skype does not allow these kind of calls.

-I haven't had any experience with OS4, but does the OS automatically close inactive apps after a while? Since I will be using Skype as a replacement Phone/SMS app, I would rather this app not close. I know it's still in beta and Skype for OS4 isn't out yet, probably get more information on that tomorrow.

-What are the chances of the iPad Micro-SIM becoming unsupported after OS4 is out? I know its only changing APN settings, and this was working in the beta versions.

-I'm not qualified for an upgrade yet (not until April 11th, 2011), was it possible to get iPhone 4g without a new contract at a local Apple or AT&T store? I saw online that I can get a new 3GS for $400 with a "*" saying requires 2 year contract right now. This doesn't mean requires a new 2 year contract, correct? I assume iPhone 4g would be around that price too, I'd probably have to get this phone first before I cancel my service. Can anyone confirm this?

Of course, I wouldn'thave to worry about any of these questions being answered if I just decided to keep my current phone service. But cutting my bill in half sounds like it would be good in the end. I checked everywhere for answers for these questions, I couldn't find anything specifically, so I apoligize if any of these were asked on here before.

-Thank you!
Brian

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would recommend posting this to a forum that is more geared to hardware hacking, we don't really get into that sort of thing here and quite frankly I see this as a form of fraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.