OS X + My Printers == What The ... (help!)

K

KuruMonkey

OK, so everything was sort of going swimmingly with my new OS X ways.

Except for the fact that the Minolta Magicolor 2300DL (nice network color laser) that I'd bought just after my powerbook doesn't have any OS X drivers. My fault; an expensive way to learn to check that things are OS X friendly from now on, and apparently there _is_ a workaround with open source generic drivers, but it knackers the resolution. (this depresses me to the point that I haven't brought myself to try it yet; it was a painful lesson!)

But today I decided to connect up my Epson Stylus Photo 935 (pretty nice USB inkjet). OS X recognises it (which, it turns out, is better than Epson's website can manage!), and installs its own drivers automatically.

Dandy, think I. Unfortunately OS X seems not to care about setting up the printer beyond paper size. Specifically; I can't find anywhere to tell the printer that its to print to normal paper rather than glossy photo paper, meaning saturated paper and useless print.

I assume that the built in driver is not so hot, so I go on an extended search and locate epson's drivers (only the australian site has drivers for this printer?!?). I install them, restart and find... the same situation.

Well, except that the drivers allow me to install the same printer 6 times for all the different paper sizes the printer handles, and the various "use margins" "dont use margins" options.

Still no control over the paper type (glossy, plain etc) or over the print quality.

I can't help but think back to Windows, where the driver allowed me more control than I could shake a stick at, and even told me how much ink was left in each tank.

Now, the rest of my experience with OS X has taught me that it frequently does things totally differently than windows (example; install one printer entry for each paper size, rather than select the size within the printer options), but rarely does things _worse_ than windows.

This leads me to question if I've missed something, and have not stumbled on the magical "set your printer up so that it actually prints correctly" window, especially given that OS X is famed for being great for print design. So the question is; what have I missed? Or did I manage to have a printer that just happens to be crap with OS X? (in which case, how to I ensure a replacement has drivers of some value?) Or, finally, does OS X really not provide any decent control over printing?

Advice and pointers to the right area to fix this would be very gratefully recieved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
did you add the printer in the printer setup utility and try looking at the printers settings there? as far as the minolta, try gimp print, it should work. in the printer dialog box, there should be a 'quality and media' option from the drop down menu any time you print something.

OP
K

KuruMonkey

Macman said:
did you add the printer in the printer setup utility and try looking at the printers settings there? as far as the minolta, try gimp print, it should work. in the printer dialog box, there should be a 'quality and media' option from the drop down menu any time you print something.

I did look in the printer setup utility, the settings there are what allows standard paper size, nothing else that I could see; but I will look again when I return from work, to be sure. I couldn't see quality and media offered anywhere.

(when I get home and recheck, if I can't find them, I'll do screenshots of what I do get offered)

I may take a look at gimp print. The solution I found was one of those wondrous linux-hybrid things, which begin with "first compile the XYZ package you can download here: (broken link)". Kind of put me off!

Thanks for the advice.

OP
K

KuruMonkey

Wow; I can't tell a drop down from a bit of static text, it appears! Thankyou to MacMan for prompting me to look again and find all the settings I thought were missing!

Gimp Print doesn't help with the laser, but did have better drivers for the inkjet. So I have now got that printer working.

According to xlr8yourmac.com, after I'd given up Minolta released a driver for the 2300DL's replacement, that also works for the older printer. That's next on my list of things to try.

In case of future people searching the forums for Magicolor 2300DL drivers, which is what I did first, the page is here:

Magicolor 2300DL OS X Driver Link

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.