New MBP Set-Up Mail & Wondering...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP OS 10.6.8, 3.06 GHz Intel C2D, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
The app Mail 4.2 that came with my new MBP somehow set my Gmail account up on its own. so I have the regular names of mailboxes up at the top of the column and under those a whole other set starting with Gmail and the mailboxes under gmail resemble what my gmail account looks like when I sign-in at gmail.com. However all the boxes for the upper mailboxes and the ones under Gmail have the same emails in them. Can I only have one set of Mailboxes that have my Gmail emails in them and not two?

What is the RSS Apple Hot News for? Are these emails that I would normally get in my Inbox when I sign into Gmail?

I hope I am making some sense. Finally, if the computer set-up the Mail app on its own and used IMAP, if I delete an email by using Safari to go to gmail.com after signing in to my account, will it delete the same email in the Mail app?

How can I set up another email account using the Mail 4.2 app? Is it possible to have several accounts all sending and synching emails in the Mail app?

Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Yea, that set it up as an IMAP account so that it leaves the mail on the server. I prefer my mail accounts to be POP, so set it up as POP.

under accounts, change that account's info to:

incoming mail server: pop.gmail.com (you might have to enable pop in gmail web mail)
outgoing mail server: smtp.gmail.com

and enter your user name and pass.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Thanks

So the MBP does it all on its own now? I saw several postings in another forum on how they could get their update (Snow Leopard) to switch to IMAP. They said they could not do it.

I want a copy to stay on the server because if they all download in Mail 4.2 then they will be gone on Gmail's website if I am out of town?

what is really the difference bwtween the two?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
If you are asking the difference between IMAP and POP then in simple terms IMAP basically syncs your Gmail.com account with your Apple's Mail program. With POP Mail just downloads the emails and you can organize it and delete them without affecting the emails on the server. With IMAP whatever you do to one will sync with the other so if you delete in Mail then it will also delete in Gmail.

Gmail's POP has the option to save your emails on the server so when you login all your emails will still be there. I believe you have to turn on that option in the preference settings. Traditionally with POP the email is deleted from the server once it's downloaded. With POP what you do in Gmail will not affect Apple's Mail and vice versa. You basically have two separate copies of your email. Although if you send email from Gmail it will also send you a copy to Mail so you will also have a copy there too.

So technically both Gmail's IMAP and POP will have a copy for you when you login into it away from home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
IMAP is better if you use multiple clients (i.e. the web interface and Mail) or devices (iPhone for instance), since your mails will be sorted into the folders / labels you want on both.

It sounds as though you have a mix of local folders and IMAP folders. Try moving the folders "at the top" to the Gmail/ folder to add them to your gmail account. If they have the same name as folder already under you gmail account, just move the messages down to the equivalent gmail folders and delete the local folders.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool Thanks

Moderator (man, you got a lot of green. I assume those are good marks).-
OK, I will try your way. I tried to delete the folders the computer got from gmail and it would not let me. It kept saying, IMAP will not function if you delete this folder, or something like that. I tried to delete the lower folders. I guess the MBP hooked up with Gmail and had the same folders under the typical Mail 4.2 app. folders that I have with my gmail account. I was not expecting for the computer to do everything (well, almost everything) itself.

Right now, I am trying to get use to the MacBook Pro so I am keeping things simple. I know they are supposed to be better but I am kind of new to them--especially Snow Leopard.

It was odd that another forum I was on, it was actually Gmail's forum, and there were several guys freaking out because they could not get their Mac OS 10.6.3 to set-up using IMAP. I tried to read up on it and it said you can sync mail clients without being online. Not sure I understand that, but I understand having the phone and ipad and whatever else to sync with.

As far as leaving the emails on the server so if I go to Gmail via Safari and I delete emails, I would like the emails I delete or send or put in spam to do the same thing no matter if I am using Mail app or Gmail's website, etc. I am not clear which one keeps things synch? I know sometimes I am slow. From brain surgery due to cancer. sorry but try to be patient.

I also do not understand when I sen out an email just lately I get a copy in my Inbox of the email I sent to somebody else. Any ideas how or why that has started?

Thanks everybody.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Yea, I read that on lifehacker or giz or some other gawker site, and I was like, "what the heck are these guys going on about?" It's how Mail automatically sets up IMAP, and they need to set it up in gmail too, I believe. Really, I was confused, and I've usually got a pretty good idea of what's going on!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.