• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HD capturing in FCP splits at scene detection?

Reaction score
Capturing HD in FCP keeps splitting the footage when the scene changes ending up with many clips. Is there a way to just capture it all in one track please?
Thank you
Andy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I'm assuming you're using a camcorder that records in AVCHD on an SD card or a hard drive within the camera - FCP actually doesn't do scene detection (at least not for AVCHD based recordings - I don't use tape any more, so I can't comment on log and capture functionality). I think what you're running into is that you press record - record for a bit, pause recording, then press record to start recording again, etc. which is what I think you're considering a scene change.

Each time you do that, your camcorder is actually creating a new file and new playlist entries that reflects the recording. FCP isn't breaking your recording into multiple takes, it's being done by your camcorder. FCP imports each playlist of files as one take - that's normal (ie: if you record something long, like a wedding or graduation, where you wouldn't start and stop recording repeatedly, you'd have several mts files in the AVCHD hierarchy, but the files are recognized as actually one long event - this is caused by the playlist within the AVCHD hierarchy.) It's not like tape where you're continuing on the same tape and unless you put flags in or have software that will auto do scene detection that can detect start/stops in recording, etc.

as a simple example, I had done some test footage with my camcorder, each record length was about 30-40 seconds. All of those recordings would fit easily within a single file on a Fat32 formatted SD card, but because I stopped recording then started recording for each of those clips, I had several very small clips on my card and playlist entries that reflected that each of those recordings were independent. Another recording I did was 1 hr 20 minutes long - it had several files on the SD card due to the limits in single file size on a storage medium using FAT, but when imported - since it was a single long recording - all of the files were properly chained together into a single long clip.

Your best option that I can think of at the moment would be to import the footage, highlight all of the footage and drag it into the sequence, then export the sequence to a quicktime movie so you now have a single large video clip of all of your recordings from your memory card rather then several independent ones.

Once that single large one is done, drag it into your project, and if you want you can delete your original imports.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.