News number?

Reaction score
I have a new MacBook Pro. At the top of the Safari window, there are tabs (Google Maps, YouTube, Wikipedia, News, Popular), and the news one has a number beside it, presumably listing the news stories from a news website I don't read. How can I remove this? The number keeps getting bigger and I don't read American news to begin with.

Also, how can I include my own links in that tab?

Reaction score
Hi there,

To add bookmarks to the bookmark bar, the simplest way (I've found) is to simply highlight and drag the url from the main address bar on to the bookmark bar and a "+" symbol appears, then once you release the mouse button, your bookmark is in place.

Hope this info helps. :Cool:

Reaction score
Hi again,

I've been playing around in Safari (I don't usually use it) and below is the method I've found to selectively remove bookmarks.
See the screen shots below to help illustrate what I'm doing.
First off, click the "Show all bookmarks" icon, far left on the bookmark bar
20100606-byfs4wdh93ux39ckthammw46xb.jpg

Next, under "Collections", in the left-side pane, select "Bookmarks Bar"
20100606-fkc1fun45eyjhx46p42yh4ci1e.jpg

Finally, you need to select "News" from the lower pane, right click and then select "Delete" from the resulting contextual menu.
20100606-m2whc536iwj46g49myjhtsi854.jpg

Hope this info helps. :Cool:

Reaction score
Or you could just disable RSS in Preferences.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.