Imac with uverse slow with ethernet

Reaction score
I just switched to Uverse (high speed) - my ethernet connection is extremely slow, at times times timing out trying to get onto internet. Same Imac and modem work well with wireless when I unplug the ethernet cable.

My Ibook works great wired AND with the same ethernet connection.

Network settings show ethernet is connected, I tried pinging with no problem.

Spent 2 hours with AT&T, they can't figure it - say it must be the Imac - using snowleopard 10.6.3.
Any help?
Mike Shack

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Rule out the cable - Try the ethernet cable you have connected to the iBook on the iMac.

OP
M
Reaction score
slow ethernet

First, I tried changing the cable - no difference and worked with the laptop.

I am a network novice, and have a problem with Collin Bl's response. I went to the Network under Preferences and it has the following:
Configure IPv4 - using DHCP, no DHCP client ID in advanced -

How do I know what unit is using it and what should I change it too if I am able to find out?
Where do I find how many units "in and on the LAN" and what should it be if I find it?
Thanks
Mike Shack

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Imac and modem work well with wireless when I unplug the ethernet cable
must be the Imac - using snowleopard 10.6.3

Mike - the reason i did not give a specific answer is i found it a little difficult to understand what exactly the problem is.
Can we assume that all works well except with the iMac that runs 10.6.3 when it is connecting wirelessly?

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, normal speed wirelessly if I unplug the ethernet. Also the same connection from the router works to my IBook.
Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Have been away for a few days - so catching up with old posts - did u get your Mac sorted?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.