• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

MS makes ilife clone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Microsoft takes the wraps off its competitor to Apple's iLife, the new Windows Live Essentials
Microsoft takes the wraps off its competitor to Apple's iLife, the new Windows Live Essentials | ZDNet

It is called Windows Live Essentials and has these parts to it:
Windows Live Mail (Web mail)
Windows Live Messenger (instant messaging)
Windows Live Photo Gallery
Windows Live Movie Maker
Windows Live Sync (Live Mesh plus the former Live Sync sync service)
Windows Live Writer (blogging tool)
Windows Live Family Safety (parental controls)
Bing Bar

And to be honest I can't see any of thes parts being any good. And I think I'll do a direct comparison of these parts to Apple's products.

Windows Live Mail - Not needed as people use Gmail or their other mail. And Thunberbird is a great client for the PC. And Mail for the Mac.

Windows Live Messenger - Can download it for free. Pointless.

Windows Live Photo Gallery - Apple has the Preview App. As well as the iphoto photo libraries. I'm surprised MS need to add this finctionality to their OS. Apple have it included in their OS with Preview.

Windows Live Movie Maker - This one could be really good. It could be really bad too. But that is a step in the right direction here. Would be hard to beat imovie. But it could be compared to imovie in a way.

Windows Live Sync - Um this is not already included in the OS like it is for OS X? Sad.

Windows Live Writer - Pointless. Word or Pages heck even text edit or an online free bolgger will do this for you. And if you want a web page developer um at least make it useful like iweb is.

Windows Live Family Safety - Parental Controls have been on OS X for years. And MS is only adding them now to W7? Sad.

Bing Bar - Who in the hack would use this? Not me for sure.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Throw all the rotten tomatoes you want but...

I like Windows Live mail and also the Windows Mail that premiered in Vista. Very good Spam Filtering. Works very well and so many options.

That is the only thing in that Windows Live package I really like. The rest? ** Hum! :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
How is this different than the Windows Live Essentials package that you can download today? Just a new version?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
CWA, that is what I thought it was.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Reading through the Wikipedia article was a test of my ability to keep track of names. I think that product has changed names more than any product should. If I read it correctly, it is the fourth incarnation of this product.

Reaction score
Seems like windows woke up and saw the need for simpler consumer sofware applications.

The were loosing out to all the 3rd party software.

The only app i find useful is the windows Live Mail. Only because it is such a simple client that has no frills!. And i use it for work :p

Reaction score
Windows Movie Maker, Paint, Photo/Fax viewer, Write and Outlook have been free with many of the Windows iterations already. They have not been bad products (with the arguable exception of Paint).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Microsoft takes the wraps off its competitor to Apple's iLife, the new Windows Live Essentials
Microsoft takes the wraps off its competitor to Apple's iLife, the new Windows Live Essentials | ZDNet

It is called Windows Live Essentials and has these parts to it:
Windows Live Mail (Web mail)
Windows Live Messenger (instant messaging)
Windows Live Photo Gallery
Windows Live Movie Maker
Windows Live Sync (Live Mesh plus the former Live Sync sync service)
Windows Live Writer (blogging tool)
Windows Live Family Safety (parental controls)
Bing Bar

And to be honest I can't see any of thes parts being any good. And I think I'll do a direct comparison of these parts to Apple's products.

Windows Live Mail - Not needed as people use Gmail or their other mail. And Thunberbird is a great client for the PC. And Mail for the Mac.

Windows Live Messenger - Can download it for free. Pointless.

Windows Live Photo Gallery - Apple has the Preview App. As well as the iphoto photo libraries. I'm surprised MS need to add this finctionality to their OS. Apple have it included in their OS with Preview.

Windows Live Movie Maker - This one could be really good. It could be really bad too. But that is a step in the right direction here. Would be hard to beat imovie. But it could be compared to imovie in a way.

Windows Live Sync - Um this is not already included in the OS like it is for OS X? Sad.

Windows Live Writer - Pointless. Word or Pages heck even text edit or an online free bolgger will do this for you. And if you want a web page developer um at least make it useful like iweb is.

Windows Live Family Safety - Parental Controls have been on OS X for years. And MS is only adding them now to W7? Sad.

Bing Bar - Who in the hack would use this? Not me for sure.

None of these things are new, it's just the latest iteration of them coupled with some new marketing. Frankly, a lot of those things were around before iLife.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.