• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

All of the sudden, iMovie won't recognize camcorder

Reaction score
iMovie '08 has been able to connect to my Sony camcorder without any problems until now. Once I connected the camcorder via usb, iMovie would see it and open a window with all the files on the camera listed. It would automatically convert them as they were imported.

Now all of the sudden, iMovie won't do this anymore. Yes I have tried everything - rebooting both camera and MacBook Pro, switching usb ports, cables, you name it.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I don't know the solution, but the first thing to check when iMovie doesn't see the camera is to to check if OS X is seeing it. Use System Profiler and look under the USB entry for it. Plug in and turn on the camera before starting System Profiler. Hit the refresh keys (command-R) once every minute for about 5 minutes. Perhaps it is taking time for the system to find the camera. I've seen that mentioned a few times before.

Unfortunately I've seen people mention this problem but don't recall any hard fast solutions. If you have another computer you can connect the camera to, try that with all of your cables. Confirming the camera port hasn't gone bad is an obvious idea. :)

OP
N
Reaction score
I don't know the solution, but the first thing to check when iMovie doesn't see the camera is to to check if OS X is seeing it. Use System Profiler and look under the USB entry for it. Plug in and turn on the camera before starting System Profiler. Hit the refresh keys (command-R) once every minute for about 5 minutes. Perhaps it is taking time for the system to find the camera. I've seen that mentioned a few times before.

Unfortunately I've seen people mention this problem but don't recall any hard fast solutions. If you have another computer you can connect the camera to, try that with all of your cables. Confirming the camera port hasn't gone bad is an obvious idea. :)

Sorry - forgot to mention that my Mac does indeed recognize the camera since it shows up on my desktop. iMovie won't recognize it though. I've seen others with the same problem and I've ready that it might be due to recent OS X updates. Guess I'll see...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Just out of curiosity - did you take any still with the camera on the same memory card? I've heard of some people having trouble with the footage being recognized when there are stills also on the card (different camera tho, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask ;) ).

OP
N
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity - did you take any still with the camera on the same memory card? I've heard of some people having trouble with the footage being recognized when there are stills also on the card (different camera tho, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask ;) ).

Nope, no stills.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Ok, well, that was my only thought on the matter - figured it couldn't hurt to ask :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.