Tiger Upgrade?

JRV

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade to tiger. Has anyone just done the upgrade and not a fresh install? Does your mac run ok with just doing the upgrade? I am reluctant to fresh install because I have a lot of programs installed and don't want to have to recustomize.

Reaction score
well one of my friends was insistant on doing an upgrade as well and i had heard that doing an upgrade from a clean install would cause alot of problems. he went ahead with the upgrade and about 2 days later his OS wouldn't load up anymore, so we then had to do a clean install of everything and his ibook is running great now. so it's just up to you, it would prolly save time in the end if you went ahead with a clean install now and customized it the way you want it, instead if something happens and you have to do it all over again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
jrv, your avatars nifty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
I did an upgrade on both my 2.5 dual G5 and my Powerbook which came with Panther installed and the upgrade DVD for Tiger included. I've had no issues and I got the full Tiger disk the day it came out for the G5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I have always done the upgrade option (Since 10.0) and have never had any problems with doing so. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 2.8GHz Dualcore 24'' / 2GB SDRAM / Snow Leopard 10.6.1 / external HD LaCie 500Gb
I had install tiger and my computer run a little bit faster now. I had to reload some applications like stuffit deluxe but nothing very long or difficult. Beleive me, it worth it!! Go for it, you won't regret it!

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
i'll try the upgrade option first. but if i have to fresh install will my iPod and all the songs i back up work? i don't want to lose all the songs i bought from iTunes because the specs of my computer change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I bought the full version but i did not erase my harddrive before I installed tiger so I got to keep all my files, and the computer runs fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 2.8GHz Dualcore 24'' / 2GB SDRAM / Snow Leopard 10.6.1 / external HD LaCie 500Gb
JRV before installing Tiger be sure to NOT click the option «Erase and Install» !!! Select the option «Archive and Install». This other option will put an «previous system folder» with your old system in it on your hard drive, and the rest will be the same as you have now. After a few days , when you're gonna be sure that everything work fine... just erase the «previous system folder»

Select this option :
• Select “Archive and Install” to save your existing system files, user accounts and
their home folders, and existing network settings. The Installer saves files in a
folder named Previous System so that you can copy them to an appropriate location
later. You cannot start up your computer using the Previous System folder.

This is the only thing you have to verify for sure!

OP
JRV

JRV

Reaction score
how would a fresh install effect my iPod?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you do a «fresh» or a clean install, you will lost all your informations, softwares that don't come with the package, preferences, mp3 songs... etc.
IF you want to do a clean installation you better make a backup or a copie of all of your stuff!

For you ipod, I'm not sure c'ause I don't have one, but I think that the ipod software come with Tiger.... Maybe somebody else that have one could give you a better answer than mine...

Don't forget to do a software update after updating to Tiger....

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
JRV said:
I am looking to upgrade to tiger. Has anyone just done the upgrade and not a fresh install? Does your mac run ok with just doing the upgrade? I am reluctant to fresh install because I have a lot of programs installed and don't want to have to recustomize.

What are you upgrading from?

My Mini and eMac upgraded from 10.3.8 with no problems at all but my iMac had difficulties after upgrading from 10.2.8 so I did an archive install which worked fine.

The PowerMac was quite funny as it had been locking up regularly for no apparent reason with 10.3 and I thought it was a hardware problem. Eventually I completely zapped it (PRAM, HD etc) and installed Tiger from scratch, now it is fine and much much faster than it was with 10.3 and hasn't hanged once.

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.