• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

didn't see this coming....

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Yes and I love it. MacOnry. ^-^"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
WOW! Awesome! I didn't think I'd see that either, but hahahaha... good show, sirs. Good show! Now maybe Apple and Google will work together again on some open web video html codecs now that Mr. Schmidt has seen how poorly flash performs on his android phones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
Hmmm.. That's awesome.
But I always wonder, will there eventually be serious treats against Mac/Apple OS?

Mac/Apple has definitely been growing in popularity, so will that eventually make them/us a target?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UNIX based OSes have been around for over 40 years without them... so I doubt it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
That's quite amazing! Very cool though. Lets see if anyone else follows suit/sees the light!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Mac/Apple has definitely been growing in popularity, so will that eventually make them/us a target?

They already are... a HUGE, gaping target. If you're a virus writer or a hacker, there is no greater prize than cracking OS X, especially with the way Apple touts it as being nearly impervious to the kinds of vulnerabilities Windows is.

But somehow the number of security threats in general, are so low in comparison, they could nearly be disregarded as a rounding error. Then if you start to look at other smaller, niche market OSes and realize that there are actual viruses and other maladies that OS X has not seen to date, you start to realize that the "security through obscurity" myth is just that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's no big surprise. This is merely a transition step toward the ultimate move to Google's own OS. It wouldn't exactly be confidence inspiring if Google's employees weren't using it's own OS once it was widely available and since that OS is going to be Linux based, this is a logical stepping stone to getting its employees acclimated to that type of OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
It's no big surprise. This is merely a transition step toward the ultimate move to Google's own OS. It wouldn't exactly be confidence inspiring if Google's employees weren't using it's own OS once it was widely available and since that OS is going to be Linux based, this is a logical stepping stone to getting its employees acclimated to that type of OS.

My thoughts exactly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ars Technica I usually agree with, but this article is just misguided entirely...

Mac OS X and Linux are no magic security bullet for Google

They neglect to follow the money, and thus miss the fact that Microsoft likes virii because more often than not when the average consumer gets a virus, they take it somewhere that will charge 200 dollars to get it taken off, and tell people how it would be more beneficial to just buy a new computers. This pushes OEM sales of Windows for M$, and accounts for a LOT of their cash flow.

OP
clayneal
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The greater number of attacks on Windows has much to do with its prevalence, which has made it a bigger target for attackers. the FT article

Oh dear, when will journalists stop repeating internet memes, rather than asking an expert or just doing some research on the good old security through obscurity myth.

I really think myth busters should tackle this one

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm all for *nix based OSes and I do agree that the move is to prep the employee base for ChromeOS. It has been noted that the move has been in the planning stages for a while and I'm sure that the ChromeOS development has something to do with this.
...this is a logical stepping stone to getting its employees acclimated to that type of OS.
I have to wonder what the percentages are for OS use at Google. I have a feeling that Linux and OS X usage, as a client OS, is much higher at Google than most companies and I'm sure that this will ease the transition of those who don't use it. As for those who only use word processing and email (likely the largest group of Windows users), they won't notice much of a difference if they use OS X or Linux.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.