New new new

Reaction score
Hola,

Bought a refurbished macbook, my first mac. I'm not a complete convert. I enjoy my pc, but I am interested in learning to program for iphone and I didn't have a laptop so it seemed logical.

Anyway, I noticed that MacOs doesn't come with any games like windows *as in solotaire, hearts, etc. These games were convenient time-passers and had online capabilities. Is there anything similar for the mac? A free place or download to play with other mac users?

Thank you =)

C

chas_m

Oh sure.

I like to point people to my pal Carter's site FreeMacApps.com - FreeMacApps.com to load up on free Macware, you're sure to find some card-game type apps there.

As for "online capabilities," all the same sites you might expect in the PC world work fine with Macs for the most part -- Yahoo's game page, Kongregate etc. You need to keep your Flash and Java up-to-date but apart from that they work fine.

For more serious gaming, Steam is now available for the Mac -- I have to admit I don't think much of it but I'm not a hardcore gamer nor do I have the graphic firepower to play the top-end stuff (but I've never quite seen the point in investing THAT MUCH time into a time-waster). And all the usual "social" online MMRPG's like WoW, Second Life, Everquest and so forth work fine with Macs.

What little gaming I do these days I do on my iPhone (in about two months you can mentally substitute the word "iPad" there) or a dedicated console like the Wii, apart from running MAME on my Mac and playing really old 80s arcade games like Donkey Kong.

Bottom line, though: once you really get into the Mac, you'll find it so enjoyable to do actual productive, profitable activities you may find yourself with a lot less time for "time-passers"! :)

Reaction score
For more serious gaming, Steam is now available for the Mac -- I have to admit I don't think much of it but I'm not a hardcore gamer nor do I have the graphic firepower to play the top-end stuff (but I've never quite seen the point in investing THAT MUCH time into a time-waster). And all the usual "social" online MMRPG's like WoW, Second Life, Everquest and so forth work fine with Macs.

Hey! I just wanted to comment on Steam for Mac for this poster. If you're a more serious gamer(as in, enjoy pc/console gaming) then Steam is very cool so far. Portal is an amazing game, and Half Life is now available too. Great games are coming down the line too....I have a late 09 Macbook, and it runs these games well....

Besides this poster advice to go to his friends site, appdonkey.com also has lots of games available for macs, a great pac-man emulation, and some great standard card games, etc....Tetris too....great casual titles on appdonkey, steam for the more serious titles!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.