• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

OH EMM GEE!!! (.MOV Files)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, Snow Leopard 10.6.4, 2.93Mhz Core2Duo, Nvidia 120GT 256MB, 4GB 1067GHz DDR3 RAM, 640GB HDD
So, after finishing editing my movie, and then exporting it in QuickTime .MOV format, I decided to delete all my files (like the video footage I exported from my camera and any saved files i had). I didn't need it anymore.

I already exported it as a final video, and I even saved it on a disc. Now I just ran into a problem.

The .MOV file I have of my movie does not work. I'm starting to believe it is because I deleted all my FCP files and footage, cause well, it took up like 200 gigs.

Does this mean the movie file i burned to a disc does not work? And WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?

I am freaking out right now.

OP
SimplyFresh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, Snow Leopard 10.6.4, 2.93Mhz Core2Duo, Nvidia 120GT 256MB, 4GB 1067GHz DDR3 RAM, 640GB HDD
Also, when I open the file, QuickTime just freezes saying, "Loading Movie". I swear, this never happened to me before, even when I did this in school.

In school, I would export the video via QuickTime, and then transfer it to an external hard drive. and it worked just fine.

so WHY IS THIS HAPPENING? im freaking out cuz this film i made was for film festivals and i just shipped the movie to the festivals and i paid so much money to submit.

okay... im like freaking right now.

OP
SimplyFresh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
never mind. i just found the problem. apparently it's missing some crucial file for the video to play properly...

WOW. ***? so *** is the point of exporting it as a .MOV if it needs some file to run in the first place?

HOW CAN YOU SEND IT TO FESTIVALS IF IT NEEDS A FILE TO PLAY?! ***!?!?!?!?

SO BASICALLY I JUST WASTED $60 FOR NOTHING!!!! AND NOW I WON'T BE ABLE TO BE PART OF THE FESTIVAL WITH MY MOVIE!!! RAAAAAGEE!!!!

IF THE MOVIE DOES NOT WORK ON MY COMP, CHANCES ARE THE FILE I BURNED ON DISC WON'T WORK EITHER!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
so *** is the point of exporting it as a .MOV if it fuking needs some file to run in the first place?

User error.

The only time I'm aware of a .mov file requiring another file is when you've created a reference file. Odd thing is that you indicated that your export was 200MB. Usually those files are very small because all they do is point to other files.

If you used File-->Export-->'QuickTime Movie...' and did not choose 'Make Movie Self Contained', then you created a reference movie. What I'm not sure about this process is if scenes that require rendering will be and placed into the reference while others that don't only get a reference.

If you still have the FCP project file and the original material, then you should be able to re-import the material and create a proper output version. I've never had to do that so don't know the work flow. I'm sure the manual can tell you how.

Reaction score
Help

When I open up my video editing (CS4) software and the software doesn't find the files it shows as "media offline." I am also able to find the files on the computer and link it to the offline media. This has helped me in the past when parts of my video projects were deleted.

Julie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
As mentioned, if you have exported the Quicktime movie as a self-contained file, it will not need the other media files that it was made from to make the movie. If you exported it as a referenced movie, the original elements need to be in their original locations in order to play the movie.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.