• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Restaurant using ipads

Reaction score
Imagine a restaurant like Applebee's having an iPad as it's menu. And while the customer(s) await their order, they can play on the iPad.

Just one flaw (with what I've stated in the above statement)- restaurants will need quite a few iPad's for this. Otherwise the idea of using an iPad as just the menu would seem like a waste of money. Just my two cents. And a pipe dream really.

But I would love to travel to NYC to eat at this restaurant mentioned in the article!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
That would be like my favorite restaurant ever. Well kind of depends on the food too. ^-^"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
So the waiters take your order on their iPads?

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Yes Rone.

The future is here, I'm waiting on the day you walk into the DR office and the DR walks in with an iPad that has your complete medical history on it.

Reaction score
That is so cool, I really think that is a neat idea. You'll start to see this more and more I bet.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The future is here, I'm waiting on the day you walk into the DR office and the DR walks in with an iPad that has your complete medical history on it.

In this thread here:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-rumors-reports/203459-new-apple-app-shopping.html

I wrote a very long blurb. And part of my blurb is my ideas on exactly how doctors could use ipads and other such Apple devices in hospitals and health clinics. And it is very possible with today's technology. I won't go into the details of it here, but if you want to know what ideas I had, read that topic. I spent a lot of time and thought into what I wrote there.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This restaurant is going one step further.

A restaurant in Sydney has removed paper and book styled menus on the table when you sit down. To order you pick the ipad on the table and order through that. Yep flicking through an ipad to select the dish you want to eat is either totally crazy or pure genius. it's a fine line. But I like the idea.

Sydney restaurant replaces menus with iPads | News.com.au

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
It's also nice to see what your plate looks like .... unless you like surprises.
Take it one step further and you can see the bill before you eat and pay upfront :)

" For the times they are a chaaaaanging. "

Cheers ... McBie

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a note as a chef. Having pictures of the meals on the menu is great for customers but a nightmare for chefs. As then if the chef has even one lettuse leaf out of place the customer will compare it to the image if the meal from the menu in their mind and complain.

Sure you could say it's my job to make sure each dish is perfect. True but I'm no Matt Moran. I'm good but not perfect. I think you get the point. But if you let the customers know the pictures of the meals on the menu are a good approximation of what the customer then issue solved.

I just wanted to say that so everyone knows both sides of the meal. The customers side and the chef's side.

Reaction score
What a cool idea having iPads as menus. Would love to visit that restaurant just to see it in action.

I imagine that it's great for the waiters staff allowing the customers to choose without the need for assistance.

I bet Heston Blumenthal could come up with something fantastic involving an iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
This has been happening in Sci-Fi movies for years. Old news. ;)

It would be cool to see the menu and then order your food right from the iPad. With it's Wi-Fi capabilities it can send all the orders to a central server so the cooks can take your order.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
EndlessMac:

That would work but one catch. What if you order a seafood dish for example but want to ask the waiter to tell the chef "I want this seafood but can you hold the prawns please cause I am allergic to them". You can't do that without a waiter or an option on the ipad option service to add a note to your order.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
They would have to have an option in the menu for user comments like you mentioned or have a uncheck item feature for things you don't want on your food. I don't think it would too hard to make a specific menu app just for restaurants.

A waiter will still have to bring you your food unless it's a self service restaurant so you will still have a waiter if you need to make any changes or comments to your order but I think they will figure out a way for the menu itself to do that for you. It wouldn't be a high tech restaurant if it couldn't do a simple thing like that. ;)

Reaction score
hopes portents

Imagine a restaurant like Applebee's having an iPad as it's menu. And while the customer(s) await their order, they can play on the iPad.

Just one flaw (with what I've stated in the above statement)- restaurants will need quite a few iPad's for this. Otherwise the idea of using an iPad as just the menu would seem like a waste of money. Just my two cents. And a pipe dream really.

Ah, but the menu could be interactive. You select the items you want, indicate any exceptions, and the kitchen staff start preparing your food. Saves on waiter costs...and customers can order whenever they wish without having to wait for a server.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.