• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

updated apple tv with cloud based iTunes streaming

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
According to this article, Apple will soon be introducing a $99 AppleTV thats based on the iPad/iPhone hardware, runs iPhone OS 4.0 and streams movies and TV shows from the cloud, with an option for local storage (and 1080p support).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz, 4gb | 16gb white iPhone 3Gs | MacBook 2.1GHz, 1gb | 40gb AppleTV |
Interesting... I do not use the built in hard drive on my AppleTV. I stream everything wireless from my iMac. My only hope would be for more file type compatibility, it takes longer to convert everything...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
ANother nice link of the subject:
Where is the Apple TV heading? | Networked Players | Playlist | Macworld

And if this cloud thing works I have one question.

How would streaming video all the time affect your internet bandwidth useage?
I know for me it'd make it terrible. It'd push me way over my current 20GB cap. ANd also I'd have to pre-stream all the video before I could watch it. I could stream and watch at the same time. Cause my government won't supply ADSL2 access to my area though I'm pretty close to a state capital.

I'd really like to get one of these devices if they are $99US. But streaming from the cloud is simply not feesable for many people will the state of the worlds broadband networks improves to meet the technology Apple has.

Reaction score
ANother nice link of the subject:
Where is the Apple TV heading? | Networked Players | Playlist | Macworld

And if this cloud thing works I have one question.

How would streaming video all the time affect your internet bandwidth useage?
I know for me it'd make it terrible. It'd push me way over my current 20GB cap. ANd also I'd have to pre-stream all the video before I could watch it. I could stream and watch at the same time. Cause my government won't supply ADSL2 access to my area though I'm pretty close to a state capital.

I'd really like to get one of these devices if they are $99US. But streaming from the cloud is simply not feesable for many people will the state of the worlds broadband networks improves to meet the technology Apple has.

When the Apple TV came out, I pitched it's competition to the likes of Windows Media Center- which now has internet TV from a select few stations-and growing- along with internet radio, etc. Though if I wanted to hook up my cable to a device capable of decoding it, I'd sooner get a USB plugin for my Mac mini and use third party software with it.- and as it stands WMC can do what TiVo can- act as a basic DVR.

I can't see my Dad suddenly pulling out the custom PC he's built in the living room and sticking in a Mac mini or even an Apple TV (if it ever gets updated and, what was it? "Metamorphosed"?, I'd still say it would be impractical.). If Apple does what was described in that article, I might buy it because I leave my Mac mini on and stream my iTunes library to any computer in the house with iTunes on it. If Apple would do the same with Front Row as they potentially could with Apple TV, well heaven rejoice because I would freakin' love that idea. If Apple would do with Front Row what Microsoft has done with WMC, heaven rejoice again- I can refute my Dad's argument with "the better" way of doing living room media (in his opinion).

Yikes, I've typed too much. Oh well. That's my two cents on that one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I use and like my Apple TV and it has sold itself to my friends that had no idea about it
do to Apple's lack of any advertising.

Reaction score
I have a theory

Another news on overhaul:
Apple TV Overhaul in the Works - Gear News at IGN

I have a conspiracy about this whole Apple TV overhaul. I was thinking about it the other day before I even read about the Apple TV overhaul. But I believe Apple wants to bring the casual gaming of iPhone to our living rooms! So, this is going to lead to their iPlay machine or service. Think about it, iPhone is getting its online game service like XBL. Imagine that also being on this system!!!. Also, there are a lot of iPad Higher Res games coming out, they can easily be played on our TV screens?! I think Apple is really being sneaky and slowly but steadily moving into gaming industry.

My further theory is that once Apple TV/Game machine is released, Apple will even consider first party titles!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.