Love your enthusiasm, guys

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm happy to hear that switchers love their Macs. I got a new iMac a week or two ago. But I want to return to my favorite platform, a Sun workstation running Solaris. That's why I hope you'll tell me why you're excited about switching to a Mac. With your help, I just might learn to share your enthusiasm. I'd like to share it, too.

Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.6 3.o6 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Had my imac for a whole day now, not so sure I am enthused right now! Sort of lost, and missing my pc. :Confused:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Not sure why you'd switch from Solaris, as that's such a niche OS - people that use it typically have very particular needs. I've always been of the opinion that if you're completely satisfied with your OS, why reinvent the wheel and have to reacquire all of your needed software packages?

If you don't care for OS X, nothing anyone says is going to make you miraculously love it. If you're actually wanting something different, you have to invest a bit of time and effort and learn the OS (and the same is true for any OS switch), research and find native software replacements that suit your needs and fully immerse yourself in the new machine.

Otherwise, you're likely to spend your time lamenting that it's not like your favorite box.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Had my imac for a whole day now, not so sure I am enthused right now! Sort of lost, and missing my pc. :Confused:

As luck would have it, you still have one. If you're not prepared to learn a new OS, pick up a copy of Windows 7, shove the disc in your drive and install away. From a hardware perspective, there is little difference between a Mac and a run-of-the-mill Windows machine. It's the OS and the experience it affords that makes it different.

And it takes time to get comfortable. You didn't learn Windows overnight, and that won't happen with OS X either. The difference is that you made a conscious choice to use a Mac, whereas you were likely compelled to use Windows. Thankfully, with your new machine, you can run whatever OS you want.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Well, since I have to spread it around some more yet...

I'll just say, I don't think that's the sort of response they were expecting from a group of fanboys. ;D

OP
B
Reaction score
I hated to switch. I could upgrade easily to Solaris 10 to keep using my workstation. I needed the Mac for voice-overs I'll do. I could have bought a PC, but I want a Unix platform, and OS X is a version of the Berkeley Standard Distribution of Unix. Don't worry. I won't go on an anti-Microsoft tirade. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to go on one. I just don't want to subject you guys to it. :D
Not sure why you'd switch from Solaris, as that's such a niche OS - people that use it typically have very particular needs. I've always been of the opinion that if you're completely satisfied with your OS, why reinvent the wheel and have to reacquire all of your needed software packages?

Although some OS X features annoy me, case-indensitivity, say, they're too trivial for me to reject it because of them. Besides, I've heard that I can make OS X case-sensitive.
If you don't care for OS X, nothing anyone says is going to make you miraculously love it. If you're actually wanting something different, you have to invest a bit of time and effort and learn the OS (and the same is true for any OS switch), research and find native software replacements that suit your needs and fully immerse yourself in the new machine.

I've lamented long enough in the past week or two. I should be grateful for the new machine's speed, its excellent graphics, being able to run compilers for most programming languages I want to write in . . . There's a lot to be happy about when I think of my new computer. I just prefer the old one.
Otherwise, you're likely to spend your time lamenting that it's not like your favorite box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
I switched because of all the issues that Microsoft had with Vista. With me I took the safe route in switching by purchasing a clearance model Intel C2D 1.6GHz Mac Mini along with a KVM switch and used it along with my Windows PC until I decided if I liked OS X. Well I love it. I then acquired a 2007 model MacBook from Craigslist, then replaced the Mini with a new 2009 model with nVidia graphics and gave my Windows pc to my son. Since then I bought and sold a 20" iMac and now have a wonderful 27" iMac. All I can say is WOW about the 27" iMac. Awesome computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Wow! A whole day and you haven't acclimated to a brand new OS yet? ;)

Give it at least a week, after the one year anniversary! :D

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you, jetmech1. Maybe someday I'll learn to love Macs. The better you know others, the more you'll love them. Maybe the same is true about Macs. I don't love mine, perhaps because I hardly know it.

A friend of mine recommended a Mac Mini. I bought the iMac instead, though, because I wanted all the hardware to be from Apple. Had I bought a Mac Mini, I would have needed to buy the accessories separately. My friend who recommended the Mac Mini offered to "adopt" my old workstation, but "he'll" stay here with me. Yes, I know that I talk as if the machine were human, but no, I'm not loony. At least I haven't been diagnosed, yet. :Smirk:
I switched because of all the issues that Microsoft had with Vista. With me I took the safe route in switching by purchasing a clearance model Intel C2D 1.6GHz Mac Mini along with a KVM switch and used it along with my Windows PC until I decided if I liked OS X. Well I love it. I then acquired a 2007 model MacBook from Craigslist, then replaced the Mini with a new 2009 model with nVidia graphics and gave my Windows pc to my son. Since then I bought and sold a 20" iMac and now have a wonderful 27" iMac. All I can say is WOW about the 27" iMac. Awesome computer.

OP
B
Reaction score
I was enthusiastic when I unpacked the machine. Then, I longed to revive the Sun machine. I'm still eager to do that, but I can't pull it out from under my bed.

Reaction score
Are those Sun machines still SCSI...There like the old Powermacs great machines. I have a Sun SCSI Blade that I use...ran across it at a thrift store.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have always wanted to mess with a Sun. Found loads of them for a pretty low price at Weirdstuff Warehouse in Sunnyvale, Calif but never bought one. Needed a monitor adapter and a few other things. I still want to pick one up and get some hands on with one and Solaris OS.

OP
B
Reaction score
They outlast many other computers. I know of Sun machines that universities were still using when those machines were in their twenties. My Sunblade 100 has been working trouble-free for the past ten years. During that time, only three things stopped it: power outages, a broken Sony monitor, and me when I wanted to clean the Blade and its keyboard. I've never needed to get the workstation repaired.

I don't know about new Sun machines, but my Sun computer is SCSI.
Are those Sun machines still SCSI...There like the old Powermacs great machines. I have a Sun SCSI Blade that I use...ran across it at a thrift store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.6 3.o6 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Gee, I was ready to give up after one day!! LOL Anyway, after three days I have my online store set up, getting my email and uploading lots of pics. I'm getting there. But for the life of me I can't figure out how to change my home page!! Haven't had time to check out the mac learning sites yet. Between working full time, painting the bathroom, planting the garden, I guess I'm not doing so bad! Thanks guys! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
You can always throw an OSOL 9 VM on it if you need to. Personally, I'm an AIX Admin and really enjoy that OS which I work with. Nonetheless, it's nice to have a simple, powerful and "pretty faced" Unix system (Mac) to relax with at home. I don't generally make it a practice to take work home with me much. Still, OS X allows me to throw many different shells on to it via the Xcode tools and such. On occasion, I use them for working out pesky scripts at home. It's something I wouldn't really feel confident doing with some of the Unix tools for Windows. Enjoy the Mac for what it is, and not what it isn't. It isn't the be-all end-all OS for sure. However, I'm pretty sure if you give it a chance you will find things about it which you enjoy and find useful. Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
... for the life of me I can't figure out how to change my home page!!

In Safari, go to the page that you want as your Home Page. Then do this:

Safari Menu > Preferences > General Tab
click Set to Current Page button under Home Page

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.